The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

OOB After a throw-in

I had this happen during a 7th boys game tonight. A1 throws the ball in on the sideline. B1 immediately hits the ball out of bound and off of A1 (without the ball touching anything else). Who's ball? We gave the ball back to A1 and I was real sure of myself at the time...now I'm wondering if that really was right...Coach, of course, thought it should be B's ball. But then they are usually wrong.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball hits A1, the ball is oob off of A1. B gets the ball.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If anyone touches a live ball while standing OOB, except the thrower during a throwin, that person is responsible for the violation. Once B1 hit the ball, the throwin is over, and A1 may not touch the ball.
Think of this play. A1 throws the ball in and it gets stolen by B1 who then proceeds to dribble by A1 (who is still standing OOB). A1 reaches across the line and grabs the ball. You giving it to A or B? You give it to B. Same concept if A's touch is accidental.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

When the ball touches any player who is out of bounds, that player causes the ball to be out of bounds. The ball is then gven to the other team for a throw in.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRT
I had this happen during a 7th boys game tonight. A1 throws the ball in on the sideline. B1 immediately hits the ball out of bound and off of A1 (without the ball touching anything else). Who's ball? We gave the ball back to A1 and I was real sure of myself at the time...now I'm wondering if that really was right...Coach, of course, thought it should be B's ball. But then they are usually wrong.
Usually, but not this time.

7.2.2 SITUATION: A throw-in by A1 (a) strikes B1 who is inbounds and rebounds in flight directly from B1 and then strikes A1 who is still out of bounds; (b) is batted by B1, who is inbounds and the ball is next touched by A1 who is still out of bounds. RULING: A1 caused the ball to go out of bounds and it is awarded to Team B at that spot for a throw-in for both (a) and (b).
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:33am
PYRef

Had the same thing in an 8th girls game last week. A1 threw it in and B1 batted it right back to A1 who caught the ball. A1 didn't realize what to do at first until I told her we were going the other way.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRT
Nathan, this is an easy one and a lot folks will give you the rules citations for you to look up. My curiousity is this, why did you feel A1's team should have received the ball back. What was your thinking on this situation?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Exception

There is an exception to this play....the dreaded restraining line. Early in my career I had this play happen and I called OOB for B since A's throw in player, A1, had not moved and the ball deflected off of B1 and back to A1. I made the call automatically. However, we were playing in a tiny gym with a restraining line. For the throwin, A1 was actually standing between the OB line and the restraining line. His feet were not touching the OB line. B1 was inside the restraining line legally in bounds. So as soon as B1 touched the ball the restraining line went away and A1 was now in bounds even though they hadn't moved.

Now when I made the call nobody said anything. However, after the game a fan who was an ex-official in our association pointed out my error. We had 2 gyms with restraining lines when I started officiating but they both have new facilities now.

How many of you have sites with actual restraining lines on floor?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
How many of you have sites with actual restraining lines on floor?
I've wondered about this before. If there are no restraining lines on the playing floor then how do you enforce this?

Are you allowed to move the player back "by rule" if there are no restraining lines on the court? Do you guesstimate the amount of distance and then call a delay of game warning if he crosses this imaginary restraining line?