The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Basketball Interpretations

What are the latest NFHS Rules Interpretations published? 2009-10?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 12:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Might Need Membership, Though

2010-11 are at: https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...nterpretations
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Ronny, hope all is well.

There's a thread that somebody updates every year but I can't remember what the title is. Maybe somebody will help us find it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Hey Ronny, hope all is well.

There's a thread that somebody updates every year but I can't remember what the title is. Maybe somebody will help us find it.
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...s-archive.html
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:02pm
This IS My Social Life

New and Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
1011-12 Interpretations came out today on the NFHS website link to NFHS Central Hub.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2011-12 Interpretations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
2011-12 Interpretations came out today on the NFHS website link to NFHS Central Hub.
Could you please copy and post them?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 04:37am
This IS My Social Life

I Don't Think This is Copyright Infringement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Could you please copy and post them?

After posting them briefly the thought occurred, would that be copyright infringement? If not, no problem. I just don't want to be sent to Struckoff Island in shackles where I'd probably be assigned recreation yard games as a wreck ref.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 04:41am.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

The comment to the final one answers the question BillyMac has been asking all summer.

COMMENT:
For a boundary-plane violation
warning to also be assessed, the
defender must actually violate the rule
and penetrate the boundary plane. (4-
19-3e; 4-47-1; 7-5-4b; 9-2-10 Penalty 4)
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Consolidate?

Nevada,

I searched for posts and I saw where you or somebody had consolidated several years worth of interps. But, it appeared that it did not go back past 2009-10???? That might just have been on the post that I found.

I searched NFHS and did not find them there for last season, either. Do you have last year? Would you please post this year's and last year's? Or, add to the consolidated effort already started?

thanks

Mulk
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Nevada,

I searched for posts and I saw where you or somebody had consolidated several years worth of interps. But, it appeared that it did not go back past 2009-10???? That might just have been on the post that I found.

I searched NFHS and did not find them there for last season, either. Do you have last year? Would you please post this year's and last year's? Or, add to the consolidated effort already started?

thanks

Mulk
Follow the link in post 4 of this thread. It has all the interps back to 1997 or so.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

SITUATION 2: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball to A2, who had been standing in the free-throw lane since A1 had the ball at his/her disposal.

RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the three-second rule specifically requires that a team be in control in its frontcourt for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is
out of bounds and not located in the
frontcourt. (4-35-2; 9-7)

SITUATION 3: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her backcourt.
The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball onto the court. A1’s pass to A2, who is also in Team A’s backcourt, takes several bounces and six seconds before A2 picks up and controls the ball.

RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the 10-second rule specifically requires that a player/team be in continuous control in its backcourt for 10 seconds for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the backcourt. (4-35-2; 9-8)

SITUATION 5: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. A1’s pass to A2, who is in the frontcourt standing near the division line, is high and deflects off A2’s hand nd goes into Team A’s backcourt. A2 is then the first to control the ball in Team A’s backcourt.

RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player and team control had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2d; 9-9)

SITUATION 8: Team A has a designated spot throw-in along the end line. Thrower A1 extends the ball with his/her arms over the end line such that part of the forearms, hands and the ball are entirely on the inbounds side of the boundary line. B2 slaps A1 on the wrist and dislodges the ball.

RULING: When a defender makes contact with a thrower-in, the result is an intentional foul. Where A1’s arms are located (on the inbounds or out-ofbounds side of the boundary line) is immaterial for this penalty to be assessed. A1 is awarded two free throws and Team A awarded a throwin at the spot nearest the foul.
COMMENT: For a boundary-plane violation warning to also be assessed, the defender must actually violate the rule and penetrate the boundary plane. (4-19-3e; 4-47-1; 7-5-4b; 9-2-10 Penalty 4)

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 09:41am.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm not trying to be a smart-***, but why did you post those two interps? They seem right to me. They are the same as the old rulings.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Well, I posted 4 and 3 applied to the TC rule change. The other one I did b/c of a recent discussion. The other interps were inconsequential.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player and team control [/U]had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2d; 9-9)
Does the part in red also apply if player and team control has been established in the frontcourt, but the ball is deflected into the backcourt by a defender? Are we now saying that a new 10-second count doesn't start until player control is regained in the backcourt?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 01:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Does the part in red also apply if player and team control has been established in the frontcourt, but the ball is deflected into the backcourt by a defender? Are we now saying that a new 10-second count doesn't start until player control is regained in the backcourt?
I don't know. I had the same question about about a throw-in that gets deflected into the backcourt since we now have TC on a throw-in but I guess this interp answers that while opening up a whole can worms for other deflection plays.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 01:25pm.