The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Inasmuch as both the FED and NCAA state that their rules are: "...'basically,' (FED) 'essentially,' (NCAA) the same as [for] professional baseball.", I have yet to find any plausible explanation as to why many of the FED's interpretations differ so greatly from the other two codes.

For example:

--immediate dead ball on a balk?
--always a delayed dead ball on obstruction?
--some base runner awards?
--and now the 3-1 move???
--and probably many more!!!

If safety or length of the game are the primary concerns, it seems apparent to me that such reasoning cannot be applied to the examples above. I am flummoxed as to any other explanation other that "they" just want to be different.

R...(_o^o_)
former member of UT...

Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Some of those differences are to make it "easier" for coaches, players and umpires to know / apply the rules
(e.g., they don't have to decide if this particular case of obstruction is immediate or delayed dead ball).
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding defense being required to appeal base running infractions:

WE WERE TOLD when it was adopted that in other sports, when an official sees an infraction he calls it. He doesn't have to wait for the offended party to appeal.

Base running infractions in baseball were the exception. Therefore, by having the official rule on it without appeal, it became inconsistent with other baseball rules, but consistent with Fed rules of other sports. They must have acquiesced to "after the play is over" so as not to impact any play occurring. From that concept it makes more sense why they did it.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 06:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think the appeal rule will be the first to fall

FED softball is eliminating the "automatic appeal" this year to be more in line with the ASA.

It is possible that baseball will eventually follow suit.

Rich
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

When I first started umpiring HS, I didn't like FED rules, but since have changed my mind. Yes there are those rules I would like changed - but nothing is perfect.

I might be in the minority by I personally like the FED appeal process - We see an infraction of the rules - end of playing action we enforce like any other violation of the rules (except BOOO (batting out of order).

Also, the FED has a case book that pretty much outlines the sitch for the umpire and explains things more clearly than the simple wording of the rule itself.

I cannot comment on NCAA because other than the NCAA slide / get around rule I have not umpired a game strictly using the college rules.

OBR is vague - and interpretations are needed for some of the more complex rulings. Also, there are no safety rules using strict OBR. IMO OBR was written for the profesional Athlete / Umpire not the Amateur Athlete / Umpire.

I guess if one combined the "best of the best" of rules from each association - one could come up with a better set of rules - but even then we would probably have debates over them as well.

Pete Booth