The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Does the part in red also apply if player and team control has been established in the frontcourt, but the ball is deflected into the backcourt by a defender? Are we now saying that a new 10-second count doesn't start until player control is regained in the backcourt?
I'd say no. They mean "IN THIS PLAY the b/c count doesn't start ..."
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The comment to the final one answers the question BillyMac has been asking all summer.

COMMENT:
For a boundary-plane violation
warning to also be assessed, the
defender must actually violate the rule
and penetrate the boundary plane. (4-
19-3e; 4-47-1; 7-5-4b; 9-2-10 Penalty 4)
So, said another way...

The rules about boundary plane violations and touching the ball while it is in the hands of the thrower are two distinct infractions and violating one does not imply or require that the other has occurred.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agree. Some rules/cases don't actually mean what they appear to say when taken out of context. They could have done a LOT better job of wording the new rules to get the desired effect without having to establish a bunch of interpretative to except all of the unintended consequences.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 05:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree.
I agree, too. I just wanted somebody else's perspective.

Quote:
They could have done a LOT better job of wording the new rules to get the desired effect without having to establish a bunch of interpretative to except all of the unintended consequences.
Or. . . they could've just added this one particular play to the definition of team control fouls.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closure ...

Quote:
The comment to the final one answers the question BillyMac has been asking all summer.

COMMENT:
For a boundary-plane violation
warning to also be assessed, the
defender must actually violate the rule
and penetrate the boundary plane. (4-
19-3e; 4-47-1; 7-5-4b; 9-2-10 Penalty 4)
Thanks for remembering my question. My local interpreter came back from the IAABO fall seminar and confirmed this for me a few weeks ago.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Or. . . they could've just added this one particular play to the definition of team control fouls.
Then we'd be arguing about how you could have a "team control foul" while there was no team control.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 07:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Then we'd be arguing about how you could have a "team control foul" while there was no team control.
Maybe, but the disconnect would be much smaller.

Or change it to an "offensive" foul with the offense defined as either the team in control or the throw-in team until team control is established.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 07:58pm.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, you can have a player control foul when there's no player control.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 11:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And an intentional foul without intent.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe, but at least that one starts with player control while the player is airborne and just continues it until the player lands.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does the part in red also apply if player and team control has been established in the frontcourt, but the ball is deflected into the backcourt by a defender? Are we now saying that a new 10-second count doesn't start until player control is regained in the backcourt?
After reading that interp, I spent some time thinking about it. Sadly, the interp doesn't match up with the text of the rules book.
The interp tries to get around the issue by arguing that the team control takes place out of bounds, not in the frontcourt or the backcourt. However, once the ball touches a player or the floor in the backcourt, it gains backcourt status. So we do have team control and the ball in the backcourt. Per rule 9-8 that is all that is required and the count should start. There is no requirement that there actually be team control IN THE BACKCOURT. The interp from a couple of seasons ago made that very clear.
The NFHS kicked this one. They wanted way a 10-second count works to remain unchanged, but unfortunately they failed to craft a rule which allows that. So they issue another bogus interp which doesn't mesh with the text of the rules book.

Quote:
I actually thought of an even simpler way of accomplishing what they desired. It doesn't involve changing a single definition of any kind.
My idea is to just alter the penalty section following 10-6. Item 1 lists five instances for which no free throws are awarded. They are labeled a through e. All the NFHS had to do was create an item f there.
The wording could have been "for any common foul during the time from the start of a throw-in until player control is established."

Yep, that's it. No changes to any rules or definitions. No complications with backcourt violations, three seconds, five seconds, or ten seconds. Just the elimination of FTs for fouls committed under those given circumstances. Why does the NFHS make this so hard?
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 07:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
After reading that interp, I spent some time thinking about it. Sadly, the interp doesn't match up with the text of the rules book.
The interp tries to get around the issue by arguing that the team control takes place out of bounds, not in the frontcourt or the backcourt. However, once the ball touches a player or the floor in the backcourt, it gains backcourt status. So we do have team control and the ball in the backcourt. Per rule 9-8 that is all that is required and the count should start. There is no requirement that there actually be team control IN THE BACKCOURT. The interp from a couple of seasons ago made that very clear.
The NFHS kicked this one. They wanted way a 10-second count works to remain unchanged, but unfortunately they failed to craft a rule which allows that. So they issue another bogus interp which doesn't mesh with the text of the rules book.

I've been saying the bolded part since this subject came up waaaayyy back when and certain "esteemed members" kept insisting it wouldn't be an issue.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually thought of an even simpler way of accomplishing what they desired. It doesn't involve changing a single definition of any kind.
My idea is to just alter the penalty section following 10-6. Item 1 lists five instances for which no free throws are awarded. They are labeled a through e. All the NFHS had to do was create an item f there.
The wording could have been "for any common foul during the time from the start of a throw-in until player control is established."
Brilliant! Nevada for the NFHS rules committee!!!

Note however, that would have the additional effect of having no FTs for defensive fouls during a throwin.

It is, however, still much cleaner.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 02:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
We don't argue about how you can have a player control foul while there's no player control. It's the exact same situation.

I should've read the whole thread before responding. I agree with both Snaq and Bob.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Fri Oct 14, 2011 at 02:55pm.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Brilliant! Nevada for the NFHS rules committee!!!

Note however, that would have the additional effect of having no FTs for defensive fouls during a throwin.

It is, however, still much cleaner.
Excellent point about the defensive fouls. My suggested wording would have to be "for any common foul committed by a member of the throwing team during the time from the start of a throw-in until player control is established."

I am still happy with the concept. Revert to the 2010-11 rules and make this change to 10-6. Seems to solve all of the issues.