The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile Worked games with WreckRef yesterday

Had four girls JV/V rec games scheduled yesterday. In all four, I was scheduled to work with WreckRef. Just before the third game was going to start, we were told that one of the teams that was supposed to play in the third and fourth games wasn't coming. They decided to play a third game with the two teams that were supposed to play the no-show team, then cancel the fourth game.

Since these games were my first of the fall season and I am soooooo far out of shape it's not even funny, this was good news to me, especially since I expect to get paid for that game anyway.

BTW - working with WreckRef was a really good experience. We were really in-sync on switching, positioning, etc. The three games we worked were fairly competitive, but weren't close to possibly going into OT. That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it.

Now I have to get ready for three girls 5/6 games this afternoon. Oh boy!
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Switching In Recreation Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
We were really in-sync on switching.
In recreation games around these parts, switching means that the umpire becomes the new lead on the throwins after each intermission. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 06:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Since these games were my first of the fall season and I am soooooo far out of shape it's not even funny, this was good news to me, especially since I expect to get paid for that game anyway.
Had four games this afternoon in out NEW Fall Rec League and feel the same way......wow I felt slow......

Gotta go to the Chiro and get an adjustment! Seriously.

And I had all young, inexperienced, HS Officials, so, I didn't have near as much fun as you Mark.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Well, I worked the three 5/6 girls games yesterday and my partner was late for the first game. I had to work about the first four minutes by myself. Wow - that was rough.

The games went pretty well, with one being only a five point difference. It was really close all the way and I was trying to figure out how to avoid OT just in case. One of the players had a purple band-aid on her hand. I told her it was a nice fashion statement. She said she wears only purple band-aids when she needs one, so I guess, for her - it actually is a fashion statement.

During that same game, I noticed one of the girls on the bench seemed to be crying. There was a TO so I went over and asked her if she was OK. She nodded. Her coach then took me aside and told me the girl was crying because she wasn't getting enough playing time and her dad always got harsh with her when that happened because he blamed it on her not playing well enough to get more minutes (which was the case). The coach then said she couldn't give her more playing time just because of that and if she did, it wouldn't be fair to the other girls.

Ah - the wonderful world of kids rec leagues. Oh yeah - in one game, one of the teams hit all twelve of their free throws. The other team missed all seven of theirs. It was kind of weird.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 04:33pm
I miss being on the floor

I would hope they will pay you for all four games! It's not your fault the other team didn't show up!
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 08:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Ah - the wonderful world of kids rec leagues. Oh yeah - in one game, one of the teams hit all twelve of their free throws. The other team missed all seven of theirs. It was kind of weird.
Do you do any other kind of game?