The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I was quite disappointed. We worked 2 grade school games and 1 9th grade....his mech's were terrible....No switches, reporting fouls from the baseline, over the back calls rather than pushes, etc. etc.....He even told me that he usually lets the 9th graders play to keep them "happy". Admittedly, they were grade school 9th grade teams (the places players go when they dont make their high school teams). But I thought to my self, man, if this is the standard, I'll have no problems moving up! Then again, maybe he was saving his game face for the Varsity.

As a Rook, anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this....this guy is a 12 yr Vet. It was my first time working for this assigner....should I complain or let it go and hope I dont end up working with him again?

Larks....VIT (Vet in Trng)
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Call your game, switch as best you can, and forget it. These guys are out there and if the truth be known, you'll hurt yourself more by saying something than not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
As a Rook, anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this....this guy is a 12 yr Vet. It was my first time working for this assigner....should I complain or let it go and hope I dont end up working with him again?

Tell your partner during re-game that you are a rookie and want to work on proper mechanics.

What you described is "normal" for many rec-league games among experienced refs (at least in this area).
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Some of the best officials I know have two sets of mechanics they use. One for varsity contest and the othe is what I refer to as "Old man" mechanics. It is based on the pricipal of lets move as little as possible to reserve as much energy as we can for the next game. Wait till summer league. You see this a lot more often there.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I've been in this situation before. I have recently moved up to a varsity schedule. Last year I worked M.S. and 9th grade games with experienced officials and non-experienced officials. When I was working with a vet, I pretty much did things the way he wanted them done. When I was the more experienced one, I did it by the book. I felt like it was my responsibilty to the younger officials to make sure they learned it the right way. I still do some lower level games, but I always make sure that I am trying to help the younger, less experienced official. I don't want them saying the same things about me or having those feelings. I think that as you move up it is important to remember that you become the best recruiter for new officials, and when they get mixed signals from assigners and officials they decide to give up on the whole thing. It is the responsibility of the vets to make sure the younger officials learn and progress and do things the right way.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy You Ohio people.

That is why you guys in Ohio are always screwing things up with having rankings like that!!!! You have to understand, I am a die hard Michigan fan.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Damn,didn't we teach you anything,Rook?PUKE ON HIS SHOES!
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Damn,didn't we teach you anything,Rook?PUKE ON HIS SHOES!
I know, I know....what about the pant staring thing?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking J/K!!

Yep, stare at his pants too!

BTW, the guy's last name wasn't DeNucci, was it?

Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: J/K!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yep, stare at his pants too!

For sake of keeping things on the DL (Down Low), i'll spare his name from this forum. I will however follow him to the mall, follow him to the food court, wait for him to get his food and sit down.....then walk up and puke on his shoes!

Larks...PIT (Puker In training)
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: J/K!!

Quote:

That's just Wrong!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
Quote:

That's just Wrong!
Just asking!

BTW, I'm sure Mark is a fine official. I was just cracking a joke since I know that he resides in Ohio. We don't always see eye to eye and I don't appreciate his attitude sometimes. But then, there are those who feel the same way about me.

So there you have it.

Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Larks, unfortunately this is a problem with many officials. Officials must understand that they are never too important or too big for the game even if it is a grade school game. Work hard and go all out no matter what the level. If the plays aren't there to work on then work on mechancis or your run or knowing the clocks and when each team is in the penalty. Whatever you do don't just go through the motions and act too cool for the game. This lazy attitude will mess up your game and will show up in so called "bigger games". In my opinion you should not say anything to your supervisor about this as people will just look at you as a rookie stirring up the pot and complaining.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Larks, unfortunately this is a problem with many officials. Officials must understand that they are never too important or too big for the game even if it is a grade school game. Work hard and go all out no matter what the level. If the plays aren't there to work on then work on mechancis or your run or knowing the clocks and when each team is in the penalty. Whatever you do don't just go through the motions and act too cool for the game. This lazy attitude will mess up your game and will show up in so called "bigger games". In my opinion you should not say anything to your supervisor about this as people will just look at you as a rookie stirring up the pot and complaining.
Well stated....Thanks to all for their feedback on this one.

Larks
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

We don't always see eye to eye and I don't appreciate his attitude sometimes. But then, there are those who feel the same way about me.

So there you have it.
No, not you Tony. You are always the soul of diplomacy,
on an everlasting quest to find the common ground in any
dispute.