Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Upper Deck, baby!!!

And who says Manny doesn't run out ground balls?!?!

(I know I shouldn't taunt, but I'm gonna enjoy it while I can )
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. Don't know how long it'll last, but that was a lot of fun.

Interesting stat, Yankees are 6-1 in post-season series under Torre after losing Game 1.

Night all
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

[/B]
Me and a whole buncha Boston sportswriters! If his dinger hadda hit the top of the wall instead of landing in the first row,he woulda had a single only.He was in his homerun trot on that one,and it barely went out.

Should be interesting this morning to read the papers to see who George is gonna fire.

Btw,tough to win when you're being out-hit,out-pitched,out-hustled and generally outplayed,isn't it?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 9th, 2003 at 05:19 AM]
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Me and a whole buncha Boston sportswriters! If his dinger hadda hit the top of the wall instead of landing in the first row,he woulda had a single only.He was in his homerun trot on that one,and it barely went out.[/b]
That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about his infield hit (hence the words "ground balls" ) off Mussina's glove right before the Ortiz HR. If Mussina doesn't touch it, it's an easy play for Soriano. But Manny didn't assume anything and ran it out. So there.

Quote:
Btw,tough to win when you're being out-hit,out-pitched,out-hustled and generally outplayed,isn't it?
I don't know what the deal was, but they were just teeing off on Moose. Everything was hit hard. (Not as hard as the Cubs were hitting last night, tho. WOW! ) Seemed like everything was hit on the button. Bernie's running catch probably wouldn't have been as dramatic a few years ago, don't you think? He's still good, and I'll take him over Damon, but he seems to have lost more than a little speed over the last 3 seasons, no?

Last thought, I haven't been over to the baseball forum, but what did you think of the Walker HR? Initially called foul by the RF ump, then over-ruled by the plate ump (who was also crew chief). I thought on replay that the ball missed the fan and hit the pole. Did you see it that way, or do I need to take off my fan-colored glasses? Either way, it didn't look good for the RF ump to get overruled by another ump who was 150 farther away from the play than he was.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Bernie's running catch probably wouldn't have been as dramatic a few years ago, don't you think? He's still good, and I'll take him over Damon, but he seems to have lost more than a little speed over the last 3 seasons, no?

Last thought, I haven't been over to the baseball forum, but what did you think of the Walker HR? Initially called foul by the RF ump, then over-ruled by the plate ump (who was also crew chief). I thought on replay that the ball missed the fan and hit the pole. Did you see it that way, or do I need to take off my fan-colored glasses? Either way, it didn't look good for the RF ump to get overruled by another ump who was 150 farther away from the play than he was. [/B][/QUOTE]I think that Bernie and Matsui might be changing positions next year. I think that Matsui can go get the ball a l'il bit better than Bernie now. Bernie has slowed down. Neither one of them has a good enough arm to play right field,imo.George is gonna have to buy a coupla them this winter.

I haven't looked at the forum either,but imo,it was a good call by the plate ump.The only thing that I have read was an early story in the NY Post that quoted Torre as saying that he couldn't really argue the call because the plate umpire told him that 3 other umpires agreed with him,and Torre said that that wasn't very good odds to continue arguing with.In any case,if they hadda called it foul,the final mighta been 4-2 BoSox instead. Best team on the night won.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Last thought, I haven't been over to the baseball forum, but what did you think of the Walker HR? Initially called foul by the RF ump, then over-ruled by the plate ump (who was also crew chief). I thought on replay that the ball missed the fan and hit the pole. Did you see it that way, or do I need to take off my fan-colored glasses? Either way, it didn't look good for the RF ump to get overruled by another ump who was 150 farther away from the play than he was. [/B][/QUOTE]
http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._hit_the_pole/
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I don't know what the deal was, but they were just teeing off on Moose. Everything was hit hard.
Yeah, when he could get the ball over the plate they hit him hard. Sox looked good last night, although I got my hopes up in the 8th.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Not a terrible game. Lowe didn't pitch too badly until right at the end. He just never seemed to find his groove. He pitched ok for a couple of batters, then left pitches over the plate to the next couple. He's definitely better at home. Sox end up with the split, which is what they needed to do.

My biggest gripe. How the [bleep] can you justify playing the theme music from The Natural for Nick Freakin' Johnson?!?! Are you kidding me? The Yankee radio announcer is obnoxious enough, but at least I don't have to listen to him. But to elevate Nick Johnson to the level of Roy Hobbs is insulting.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I'm *begging* Grady to reacquaint Damian Jackson's butt with the bench....something tells me that Jackson has a "Buckner moment" inside him just waiting to get out. Pleasseee Grady.....
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Boy,he really hustled his butt off going to first on that litle pop-up that he hit to right last night,didn't he. Probably had to go change uniforms after that,'cause the the one he had on was so sweat-soaked from the effort.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
I'm *begging* Grady to reacquaint Damian Jackson's butt with the bench....something tells me that Jackson has a "Buckner moment" inside him just waiting to get out. Pleasseee Grady.....
Shhhhh....
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
Walker should be back in today against Clemens, I would think. I think Grady was going for a RH batter against LHP Pettit. But I would rather have seen Walker out there. It's gonna be a fun one this afternoon!
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
It's gonna be a fun one this afternoon!
[/B][/QUOTE]Not a fun one at all!
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
It's gonna be a fun one this afternoon!
[/B]
Not a fun one at all! [/B][/QUOTE]

We learned something today: Pedro's a lot of talk until he's confronted by a 72 year old man. What a hero.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

The game was pretty good. The extra stuff was embarrassing. On Zim's part too.