LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
One more post to 3000, Chuck.

Make it a good one!!
Don't know if the post is any good, but the game sure was. I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned it before now. No new comments from Dan or JR in the thread or in my email!

Anyway, Wake's knuckler was dancing, Trot flashed some power, Walker tried for Pesky Pole again (Walkah hits anothah mawnstah shawt! Theyah is a Gawd!! ), and the game was decided by a guy running out a grounder to stay out of a double play. Mussina pitched much better than in Game 1. After the absurdity of Game 3, this one was a real gem, I thought.

Anybody else notice that in the post-game interview, practically the fist words out of Wakefield's mouth were an apology for letting his emotions get away from him? I think everybody was told to play ball and be good boys.

Well, that's post number 3,000 for me, and I. . .am. . .outta here!

(Nothing like a 15- year-old SNL reference to make you feel old. I will now light myself on fire.)
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
I will now light myself on fire.

[/B][/QUOTE]Agree.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Make it a good one!!

Anyway, Wake's knuckler was dancing, Trot flashed some power, Walker tried for Pesky Pole again
***obviously derogatory remarks attempting to make fun of slow people with speech impediments removed*** , and the game was decided by a guy running out a grounder to stay out of a double play. Mussina pitched much better than in Game 1. After the absurdity of Game 3, this one was a real gem, I thought.
It was a great game, although I think THE major play of the game came in the first when Giambi lined out to first. Instead of 1-0, 2nd & 3rd with no outs NY had 2 outs with man on 2nd. Huge play. (And if you missed it the Sox got a lesson in how a major league rundown is supposed to work.)

Quote:
I will now light myself on fire.)
Not a bad idea.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Oct 14th, 2003 at 09:46 AM]
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

October 14, 2003
Our Way: Root and Hoot
By DAVID BROOKS

Last week I visited Tucson, and then flew back to attend a Yankees-Red Sox playoff game. It occurs to me that some of my friends in the Southwest may be watching the series on TV, and may be alarmed by some of the behavior they are seeing on the field and elsewhere. They may think it impolite to grab a 72-year-old man by the head and toss him to the ground, or throw hard objects at people's faces, or hold dueling press conferences calling each other names.

My friends should remember that the Yankees-Red Sox series is a contest between two Northeastern teams, and while the Northeast is no longer a particularly important region of the country — we haven't sent a person to the White House in 43 years — we do have a distinct way of doing things, which we cherish.

For example, while most people in the Southwest seek pleasure and avoid stress, we in the Northeast do not have that orientation. The place in their culture that is occupied by the concept "happiness" is occupied in our culture by the concept "cursing at each other."

So when you go to a game at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park you will see lawyers, waiters and skinheads sending off enough testosterone vapors to menace the ozone layer. If a Martian came down and landed in the stands of a Yankees-Red Sox game, he would get the impression that human beings are 90 percent men and 10 percent women in tight T-shirts, and that we reproduce by loathing in groups.

It's interesting, for example, to turn and watch Yankee and Red Sox fans as they watch a game. As the game goes on, they almost never display pleasure, contentment or joy. Instead, during the game they experience long periods of contempt interrupted by short bursts of vindication.

If one of their players has just grounded out, they regard him with a gaze that suggests he has just betrayed his country. If he has hit a home run, they treat it as evidence that the pathetic bum on the field has finally lived up to the standard set by their superlative fandom. Then comes the taunting.

Some people claim that American men have trouble expressing their emotions. Not at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park. Toward the end of the game I attended in the Bronx, when it was clear the Yankees were going to win, the Yankee partisans turned to their brethren from the Bay State to let them know which part of the anatomy they resemble.

They started chanting a two-syllable word to summarize this conclusion. First they chanted it in reference to the Red Sox fans. Then they chanted it in reference to the Red Sox players. Then they chanted it in reference to nothing, just for the aesthetic satisfaction of it. Art for art's sake.

And the really nice thing is that our players, who hail from across the world and rarely from the Northeast itself, often embrace our culture. The Red Sox pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim was recently booed by his own fans during player introductions at Fenway Park. In what can only be described as a sign of deep respect for local mores, he raised Boston's favorite finger.

Similarly, if you look at the Boston Red Sox batting helmets, you will see that they look like spittoons turned inside out. This is in homage to the Northeastern talent for scuzziness.

A few years ago some singers from the Pacific Northwest tried to pioneer something called grunge rock. But watching people from Washington State trying to appear grungy is like watching Norwegian kids try to rap. The effort is there, but the essence is missing.

We know that our region is not the future. Every year, people move out of the Northeast to Scottsdale and other places where it is considered fashionable to coordinate your toenail polish with the color scheme of your Lexus.

Those of us who are left here know we will never be happy. If God had meant for us to be happy, he would have had us born in Aspen. We know that every year the political center of gravity in this country moves farther south and west, because most voters do not appreciate the importance of sarcasm when selecting their leaders.

But at least in the era of our decline we have our internal feuds to sustain us. You may deprive us of our greatness, our honor, our very lives, but you will never take away our rage.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Make it a good one!!
Don't know if the post is any good, but the game sure was. I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned it before now. No new comments from Dan or JR in the thread or in my email!

Anyway, Wake's knuckler was dancing, Trot flashed some power, Walker tried for Pesky Pole again (Walkah hits anothah mawnstah shawt! Theyah is a Gawd!! ), and the game was decided by a guy running out a grounder to stay out of a double play. Mussina pitched much better than in Game 1. After the absurdity of Game 3, this one was a real gem, I thought.

Anybody else notice that in the post-game interview, practically the fist words out of Wakefield's mouth were an apology for letting his emotions get away from him? I think everybody was told to play ball and be good boys.

Well, that's post number 3,000 for me, and I. . .am. . .outta here!

(Nothing like a 15- year-old SNL reference to make you feel old. I will now light myself on fire.)
Chuck: Don't know why but your post shows up on my system as #3004 -- not 3000. Getting ready to watch the Yanks and Sox!!!!!!
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
[/B]
Chuck: Don't know why but your post shows up on my system as #3004 -- not 3000.
[/B][/QUOTE]Chuck has made 4 posts since his 3000th. The total by his name automatically goes up with each post.

I'm heading for the tube too.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Pork
Quote:
Agree. [/B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy
Not a bad idea.
Would it kill you to use a smiley?!?!?!
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Pork
Quote:
Agree.
Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy
Not a bad idea.
Would it kill you to use a smiley?!?!?! [/B]
You know him.
and You study.
Big boys
Don't need a Buddy.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

Chuck?

Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yankees up 3 games to 2.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yankees up 3 games to 2.
Manny broke my heart with the bases loaded.

Burkett goes tomorrow? Sigh.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Yankees up 3 games to 2.

Go Sox!
mick
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:44pm
In Memoriam

Sounds of Silence.

Wrigley field got real quiet in the 8th.
Marlins scored 8 and Cubs are up... finally.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Sounds of Silence.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Wrigley field got real quiet in the 8th.
Marlins scored 8 and Cubs are up... finally.
Speaking of the Babe's curse, didn't Babe Ruth hit that famous "called HR" during a WS game against the Cubs?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yankees up 3 games to 2.

Yeah, my "pucker factor" was raised about 20 points when he was at bat. Whewwwwwww!