The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:33pm
In Memoriam

Personally,I can't figure out why Manny went nuts so quickly.I know that he expected to get thrown at, after what Pedro did. I also know that Clemens is a big an idiot as Pedro is(imo).I don't have too much use for either of those clowns, to be quite honest. I'd like to see both of them try their crap in the NL,where they gotta come up to the plate sometime.However,the high one that Clemens threw wasn't even tight. I watched the reply several times,and I swear that the pitch was over the plate.Inside,but still over the plate.

And a member of the field crew goes into the visiting bullpen and fights?

Should be some suspensions over this one,but I don't think that there will be. Just fines.

Btw,when was the last time that Pedro won a big game against the Yankees?

:To be continued: Another game to watch.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The game was pretty good. The extra stuff was embarrassing. On Zim's part too.
Yup,yup,and yup.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
It's gonna be a fun one this afternoon!
Not a fun one at all! [/B]
We learned something today: Pedro's a lot of talk until he's confronted by a 72 year old man. What a hero. [/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't see it, but could have Pedro attacked a body that had attacked him, or did he attack Zim?
mick
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
It's gonna be a fun one this afternoon!
[/B]
Not a fun one at all! [/B][/QUOTE]

Au, contraire my disappointed Bosux fans,I had a lovely time this afternoon. Gonna have another good time next game.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
I didn't see it, but could have Pedro attacked a body that had attacked him, or did he attack Zim?

[/B][/QUOTE]Zimmer went right after Pedro. I dunno whatinthehell he was thinking about. Musta had a flashback to the 50's, or something. Of course,Zimmer does have a plate in his head from the beaning that ended his career, so I don't think he was too happy with Pedro when he threw at Garcia's head. Pedro,when Zimmer rushed him,basically then put both hands on Zimmer's head and dunked him. Apparently cut Zimmer's nose and his head when he did it. Then,near the end, a member of the BoSox ground crew went into the Yankee bullpen and got into a fight. Garcia hopped in,and cut his hand so bad that he had to leave the game.

YU.P.,just your average game.

I just read a preliminary story over on the Sports Illustrated website. Headline was "Clemens out-pitches and outclasses Martinez". That oughta keep things going.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 11th, 2003 at 08:57 PM]
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 09:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
Zimmer went right after Pedro. I dunno whatinthehell he was thinking about. Musta had a flashback to the 50's, or something. Of course,Zimmer does have a plate in his head from the beaning that ended his career, so I don't think he was too happy with Pedro when he threw at Garcia's head. Pedro,when Zimmer rushed him,basically then put both hands on Zimmer's head and dunked him. Apparently cut Zimmer's nose and his head when he did it. Then,near the end, a member of the BoSox ground crew went into the Yankee bullpen and got into a fight. Garcia hopped in,and cut his hand so bad that he had to leave the game.

I just read a preliminary story over on the Sports Illustrated website. Headline was "Clemens out-pitches and outclasses Martinez". That oughta keep things going.

[/B][/QUOTE]

That makes it sound like Pedro was reacting in self-defense and that Zimmer was a little over-emotional.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Personally,I can't figure out why Manny went nuts so quickly.I know that he expected to get thrown at, after what Pedro did.
He expected to be thrown at, and then when he saw the pitch rising, he ducked slightly and I don't think he ever saw where the pitch actually ended up. I think he just assumed it was at his head.

Quote:
I also know that Clemens is a big an idiot as Pedro is(imo). I'd like to see both of them try their crap in the NL,where they gotta come up to the plate sometime.
Pedro did. Remember he came up thru the Dodgers and Expos systems.

Quote:
However,the high one that Clemens threw wasn't even tight. I watched the reply several times,and I swear that the pitch was over the plate.

I agree 100%

Quote:
And a member of the field crew goes into the visiting bullpen and fights?

That goes beyond strange, and right to unbelievable. Unless I'd seen it, I'm not sure I really would believe that a member of the grounds crew would get into an altercation with a player. That's just crazy, even by Yankee/Red Sox standards.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 09:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
That makes it sound like Pedro was reacting in self-defense and that Zimmer was a little over-emotional.
[/B][/QUOTE]Basically,I think that's probably a pretty fair statement. Some other..ah..slightly more virulent Yankee fans than myself might not agree with that though.There were quite a few people involved in this one who were over-emotional,but-hey-it's the play-offs. Pedro could possibly have been not quite so enthusiastic in protecting himself from the charge of a 200 year old man,though.Of course that's just my opinion. I'm sure that some of our BoSox fans might weigh in with a different opinion- as soon as they climb down off the ledge,untie the noose,or turn the gas off in the oven- whichever is applicable in their particular case.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Know your place.

If you do not want to get your butt kicked, do not attack men much younger and bigger than you are. I would have had not problem if Pedro slugged him dead in the face in that case. Zim got what he deserved. I bet he will think twice the next time he steps out that dugout to charge a player.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zimmer went right after Pedro. I dunno whatinthehell he was thinking about. Musta had a flashback to the 50's, or something. Of course,Zimmer does have a plate in his head from the beaning that ended his career, so I don't think he was too happy with Pedro when he threw at Garcia's head. Pedro,when Zimmer rushed him,basically then put both hands on Zimmer's head and dunked him. Apparently cut Zimmer's nose and his head when he did it. Then,near the end, a member of the BoSox ground crew went into the Yankee bullpen and got into a fight. Garcia hopped in,and cut his hand so bad that he had to leave the game.

[/B]
That makes it sound like Pedro was reacting in self-defense and that Zimmer was a little over-emotional. [/B][/QUOTE]

Mmmmm, I dunno. As far as I'm concerned if you're 20 something (or even 40 something) and a 72 year old guy with 2 artificial knees and a steel plate in his head comes at you self defense begins and ends with stepping out of the way.

Unless you're a punk.

Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
Basically,I think that's probably a pretty fair statement. Some other..ah..slightly more virulent Yankee fans than myself might not agree with that though.There were quite a few people involved in this one who were over-emotional,but-hey-it's the play-offs. Pedro could possibly have been not quite so enthusiastic in protecting himself from the charge of a 200 year old man,though.Of course that's just my opinion. I'm sure that some of our BoSox fans might weigh in with a different opinion- as soon as they climb down off the ledge,untie the noose,or turn the gas off in the oven- whichever is applicable in their particular case. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya know what they say...if you can't beat 'em then bean 'em. Unless of course you get the opportunity to prove your manhood against a 72 year old.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 04:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Ya know what they say...if you can't beat 'em then bean 'em.

[/B][/QUOTE]Here's one from Sports Illustrated.I pretty much agree with this one. The caption of the story is "Pedro the punk goes headhunting".
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...me3/index.html

Here's one on the bullpen brawl.We may never know what actually happened in this one.Both sides are blaming the other,and the hometown papers,when they come out,can probably be disregarded because of their natural bias.Bad scene,no matter what.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...s.bullpenf.ap/

Of course,when I read the NY and Boston papers later when they come out,I'll probably wonder if they watched the same ball game.

Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I saw Zim's emotional statement on SportsCenter this morning. He showed why he's a class guy who is still valuable in the game. He played and coaches with passion, but when the emotion crossed the line, he admitted it and apologized. He's a stand-up guy.

I wish I heard a little of that from the Boston camp this morning.

Actually, that's not completely fair. Owner John Henry made some very classy and approprate comments. I should say that I wish I heard a little of it from the Boston dugout.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:30am
In Memoriam

One more post to 3000, Chuck.

Make it a good one!!
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One more post to 3000, Chuck.

Make it a good one!!
Why should he change now?

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that I might have used the wrong smiley here. Since I do not want to see Chuck's impression of Don Zimmer at his news conference I'll add this one:

[Edited by Dan_ref on Oct 13th, 2003 at 02:27 PM]
Closed Thread