The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Take a look at this article. It is from a coach who has lost to the same team two years in a row and has in issue with the officiating. If I am not mistaken I believe the interviewed him right after the loss, thus you can hear his emotion in his comment. Tell me what you think.

http://www.theadvocate.com/stories/0..._eahs001.shtml
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Give the coach a pacifier and put him in his crib.

Z
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Coach should be suspended for a game or two at the beginning of next season. Pretty standard rant, a la Pat Riley. Can't fine a HS coach $20,000 tho. So a game or two off should do it. I'm sure the AD won't do it, tho.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
One word:CRAZY!
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

"had 3 shots at the basket in last 15 seconds"... and missed all 3. He's right, the officials cost him the game because they made his team miss all 3 shots.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Typical crybaby. Fortunately most coaches have more brains than this jerk.

How do you suppose he responds to parents that tell him that it was his coaching that cost their child a college scholarship?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:27am
Esteemed Participant

Did I read the article correctly? He had two trips to the line in the last min. of regulation, and 4 free throws in the last min. of OT?? And missed them all???? And now is crying about the refs??????? Ouch...
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

His team had ample opportunity. The coach is catching a some heat from his comments last night. I doubt he gets suspeneded or anything like that, but I am sure he will lose some respect in the community.

[Edited by Ridgeben on Feb 25th, 2003 at 10:42 AM]
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I've seen missed & bad calls....Heck I've made my share.

To blame a ref for blowing an entire game is giving them too much credit. I don't see HOW one of us could if one wanted to.

It's sad.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Our state association doesn't put up with this type of crap. Perhaps the LHSAA needs to be made aware of it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I am sure the LHSAA is taking a look at it. The commisioner lives in the same area as this guy.

[Edited by Ridgeben on Feb 25th, 2003 at 10:43 AM]
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I just emailed this clown and read him the riot act. I encourage all of you to do the same. Here is his email address:

[email protected]

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Here's the reply to my email. Notice he misspelled my name. Also - I tried to catch and point out all the spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors, but there were so many, I'm sure I missed some. Remember, this guy is a teacher.

Mr. Padget,
As for my remarks in the Advocate, I stand by them. As for as blaming the officials for our loss; you are out of line sir. I find your remarks unprofessional. As for as my players lacking skills I find that insulting from you. I have been coaching for 20 years. I have tried my
best to place a disciplined and skilled team on the floor. My trackrecord (sic) proves that. It's that skill which was hampered by one official.

When you have one official making calls out of his area; then that's unprofessional, insulting and ludicrous. When an official stands under the goal and watch (sic) a player violently hits the floor and calls nothing then that's disrespecting to me as a coach and it's disrespecting for my players. Because personally, I teach my kids not to go after air borne (sic) shooters. Why go to a referees meeting and go over the rules? Mac said protect the shooter, they didn't. This was given to all officials that attended the meetings. No, the referees didn't lose the game, one official in a three man crew decided to make call after call out of his area. Do you think it's professional for an official to make decisive calls out of his area? Why did this one person take it up on (sic) his self to blow his whistle? I believe their are so mechanics involved in refereeing. This one referee did not allow his partners to make calls in their area. How do you think I felt watching my kids hit the floor and this one official would not make the call.

I have two kids seriously hurt after this game. It's inside of 30 seconds; my guard is driving to the basket she clearly gets pushed and knocked down on the shot, there is no call. Early in the game he's called similar plays against us blocking rightfully awarded the opponent free throws. Is it too much to go on the road and ask for consistency. I have the utmost respect for officials. I have a disdain for show boats and officials who call out of their areas. Did they lose the game for us no they
didn't? (sic) 2/3's of this crew worked their tales (sic)off. They were consistent the entire night. But, one of them was not. I as a coach and my kids work too hard to have opportunities taken away from us because one official can not or will not follow the rules of officiating or the etiquette of officiating. You and I know that it one official can make a good crew look bad. You also know it's wrong for the opposing coach to ask for officials by name. I have never requested a a (sic)particular official by name. I have never asked for black or white or
whatever. I always just ask for officials who are going to be consistent. This one official in the crew did not allow the others tofunction properly. I am quite sure that in your 24 years of officiating that you have either been with crews or witnessed a crew blow call after
call because of poor mechanics. Because of this one individuals (sic)mechanics the entire crew looked bad. What do you think is unprofessional? For an official to walk out the floor and call out ofhis area. To be inconsistent with his calls. You think it's
unprofessional to tell the truth as I witnessed it. You think it's unprofessional to take up for my kids; I take the blame for all the losses in my program. That's my responsibility as an adult and as a coach. Your peer hampered our opportinity with his inconsistency.

Since you are a veteran of 24 years; i want you to know that if you hadwitnessed this individual you would've have been embarassed (sic) because it's individuals like this who give you a bad name. I have always believed that for the most part that officials are the best. That the truly good ones respect the game and the people who they are working with. The other officials (sic)facial expressions let me know that they were not on the same page. Is it asking too much for consistency on both ends of the
floor. As as "there is no one in the gym who knows more about how this game should be called than my partner and myself". What's the point; officials in a three man crew have areas to cover, areas on the floor that they are responsible for. I have a problem when an official is
making a call when it's not there's (sic) to make. So it's okay for my kid to get a steal, start her dribble, have the ball tipped out of her hand in full view of one official, who makes the call, this one referee who is
trailing the play; then for the lead official to apologize because they know it was not double dribble. The call stop (sic) a wide open lay up.
which (sic) would have put us up by 5 pts (sic) within one minute.

Admit one fact (sic)there are bad coaches, bad players, and bad referees and all of us have a hand. The few calls you are talking about were the result of poor court mechanics. You do not know me therefore you can not judge me.

It's honorable that you speak up for officials. But they are not allknowing or all wise nor is (sic) you or I. But I was there. I have two girls who are hurt as a result of my opinion. Tell that opinion to their parents and to them. I guess getting your legs taking from you do not
warrant a foul! Or that was just a human error.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Mark

Can you post your sent message to him?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

First, in the interest of fairness, you should post your email to him also.

Second, if an official I never met emailed me the day after a devastating playoff loss to take me to task, I'd send a reply with misspellings because I'd be too mad to double-check. No, I'd probably never make comments like that to a reporter or anybody, but you sure would receive a few choice words for antagonizing me the following day!

Third, I completely agree that this guy was way out of line in blaming this loss on one official. His team made many mistakes, especially down the stretch, that are detailed in the article. Many of his arguments to you don't make much sense either. But you were equally out of line emailing him, at least so soon after the game. You owe him an apology, IMHO.