Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ewiar
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
That's what happens when D-1 officials work select leagues on their off nights. :-)

Z
Point taken- but this guy also refs high school varsity, so I don't think it's too much to ask that he know the rules. I'm in my first year and I know the rule- he should definitely know it.
This basically goes back to the thread we had a couple days ago. This ref probably saw a ref on TV call it traveling. Now he, and hundreds of others call it traveling simply because some D1 guys use the wrong signal. That is the essensce of my beef with using the wrong signal. People are watching what is done and trying to repeat it becuase they expect D1 officials to get such basic things correct. Sure, the D1 guys probably make the right call, but they are also the example that many people learn from.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ewiar
Yes, you're right my coach didn't know the rule either but I thought that was expected of "howler monkeys." Officials should know better.
Yes, they should but they don't always. Like I said, many areas don't offer local rules clinics and there are still those who aren't aware of forums such as this. You'll meet all types of officials as you play and officiate. Not everyone will be a rules guru. And, as Camron stated, a person may see a person of respect or authority make a call, and emulate it. But that doesn't make them bad people or bad officials. Don't hold it against them.

Also, the official may have meant that you're only allowed one step out of the box and he felt you were out with both feet. It's a judgment call, that you may not agree with.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith