View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

As I've mentioned before I still play competive basketball as well as officiate. Yesterday, my select team was playing an exhibition game against a local high school varsity team. I first got on the court about midway through the first quarter and almost immediately the ball went out of bounds on the baseline in our end. After the official handed me the ball out of bounds the player that was guarding me moved right up on the line and was waving his hands in a such a way that I couldn't get a good angle on a pass. So, to improve my angle I took about 3 steps directly backward and then a little shuffle to the side. I know that both feet were still easily within the 3 ft. area. I had moved maybe 6 in. to the side at the most. As you've probably guessed by now the administering official called me for travelling. I looked at him in shock and he said "You're only allowed one step." My coach hauled me off and gave me a lecture about stupid turnovers. Please don't punish players that know the rules because of your ignorance. (I'm sure no one here would do that)
Thanks