The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Divide the front court into nine equal squares. As trail, you always try to be in a square that is touching the square where the ball is. Look through the play on the ball, but be aware of who's got on and off ball coverage.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleblower
Look through the play on the ball, but be aware of who's got on and off ball coverage.
Especially if I'm working 3-man (or whistle). I need to make sure that the other official picks up the ball as it comes into their area before I release the play (that is not a drive to the basket). I may want to glance at my partner to see where he is looking. If he has the ball, then I know that I can release the ball and look at the competitive matches off ball in my area.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

My Mechanics for Player Control

I deviate from the preferred mechanics a little to "sell" a player control foul. I do three things simultaneously: hit my whistle, put one hand up behind my neck (standard mechanics) and "punch" my other fist out in front of me in the direction the ball will go. I don't use a raised fist. That seems to work best for me.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: My Mechanics for Player Control

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
I do three things simultaneously: hit my whistle, put one hand up behind my neck (standard mechanics) and "punch" my other fist out in front of me in the direction the ball will go. I don't use a raised fist.
I used to do this Jen. I did it for a lot of years. And then I had a blarge. . . If you do it that way to sell it, and your partner(s) also do(es) it that way, then you'll end up both giving a secondary signal. If you give opposite signals, UGH!!

If you insist on going directly to the secondary signal, then you MUST pre-game with your partner that only the official who has primary responsibility for the area will give the signal. Trouble with that is, it's awfully hard to break the habit. You'll probably still end up doing it.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: My Mechanics for Player Control

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
I deviate from the preferred mechanics a little to "sell" a player control foul. I do three things simultaneously: hit my whistle, put one hand up behind my neck (standard mechanics) and "punch" my other fist out in front of me in the direction the ball will go. I don't use a raised fist. That seems to work best for me.
I'm sure it looks impressive, but it's NOT the proper
NFHS mechanic. Hope you're not gettting evaluated for tournament games, at least in one of the states that requires HS mechanics for HS games.