Thread: good advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I referee NFHS subvarsity games and I always try to ask to varsity refs for feedback if they arrive early enough to see the end of my JV games.
I got some good advice yesterday, that I am hoping the board can elaborate on with some specific ideas.

1) When I was the trail I was too focused on the ball and missed several dangerous moving screens that were in my zone but away from the ball. I asked the senior ref how I could do this better and he said: "See through the play and see everything in your coverage area". I understand what this means but need to some ideas on putting it into action?
Especially when I am the trail and the ball is opposite me on the leads side, yet in my coverage area above the arc, how can I also see what is happening down my side line where the off ball screens are? How can I train myself to view the game like this?

2) Second advice was to "sell" the call on block/charge. I get the concept.What specific things do you do to sell a call without looking like a show boat ref from the NBA?(no offense if you are an NBA ref) Is just being louder good enough?

thanks again
GTW