Thread: good advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward

1) When I was the trail I was too focused on the ball and missed several dangerous moving screens that were in my zone but away from the ball. I asked the senior ref how I could do this better and he said: "See through the play and see everything in your coverage area". I understand what this means but need to some ideas on putting it into action?
Especially when I am the trail and the ball is opposite me on the leads side, yet in my coverage area above the arc, how can I also see what is happening down my side line where the off ball screens are? How can I train myself to view the game like this?

First of all, get a good book. "Basketball Officials Guidebook" from Referee Magazine and NASO is excellent. You need to know more than just your primary area; you have to know who has on and who has offball coverage. In your instance where the ball is high in the trail area but on the leads side, you have on-ball coverage. You need to get off your sideline and come out until you can get a good angle and see between the ball and the defender. While you are doing that, it is impossible for you to see off ball action (if any) on your side down near the baseline. This is where the lead needs to pick up off ball coverage as needed. You need to work these things out in your pregame. The key is that you both aren't watching the ball. If you know who has on ball and who has off ball at all times, you'll know what you are responsible for. This is where working with the same partner really pays off. In lots of circumstances, this isn't possible and until you can develop a rapport with someone, you'll just need to discuss it thoroughly during your pregame.

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward

2) Second advice was to "sell" the call on block/charge. I get the concept.What specific things do you do to sell a call without looking like a show boat ref from the NBA?(no offense if you are an NBA ref) Is just being louder good enough?

Once again, the Basketball Officals Guidebook has different mechanics for "selling" a charge call. When you are selling a call, you are trying to convince everyone in the gym, that you indeed have the correct call. If the call is obvious, no need to sell it. If it is questionable, by being demonstrative with your mechnaics, you attempt to convince everyone that you made the correct call. First off, you better be in position to see the entire play. If you are out of position, all the selling in the world isn't going to covince that coach or the fans that you made the right call. Second, do not hesitate. Immediately make your call. Be strong in both voice and mechanics. Much like a baseball umpire on a called third strike to end the inning. On a PC foul, skip the bird dog. Instead, give the closed fist followed immediately by cupping the back of your head and signalling direction with the other hand. You can also yell "Offense" for emphasis if needed. Each offical will develop their own technique they feel comfortable with. Now, that said, only sell when needed. If you try to sell fouls that don't need it, it's like crying wolf. When selling a call, you should make it clear to everyone in the gym that you are absolutely sure of the call (even if you aren't)

Hope that helps, but of course, it is just my opinon.

Mregor