Thread: good advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
I referee NFHS subvarsity games and I always try to ask to varsity refs for feedback if they arrive early enough to see the end of my JV games.
I got some good advice yesterday, that I am hoping the board can elaborate on with some specific ideas.

1) When I was the trail I was too focused on the ball and missed several dangerous moving screens that were in my zone but away from the ball. I asked the senior ref how I could do this better and he said: "See through the play and see everything in your coverage area". I understand what this means but need to some ideas on putting it into action?
Especially when I am the trail and the ball is opposite me on the leads side, yet in my coverage area above the arc, how can I also see what is happening down my side line where the off ball screens are? How can I train myself to view the game like this?

I think that you are being told to stop watching the ball when it's outside of your area. The only way to do that is to trust your partner & not watch the ball. Nothing magic there. As for the play you give, yes, there are times when there might be 4 eyes on the ball, but you can train yourself to look at your partners eyes. In your play, if you see your partner is watching the ball then look down through the paint (as trail). Otherwise stay with the ball. Also, as T you should be moving along the 3 point line to get the best view of the floor in front of you. Also back up & move in as needed. Idea is to work usingthe best possible angle for the widest possible focus. Make sense?

Quote:
2) Second advice was to "sell" the call on block/charge. I get the concept.What specific things do you do to sell a call without looking like a show boat ref from the NBA?(no offense if you are an NBA ref) Is just being louder good enough?

thanks again
GTW
Uhmmmm...I don't know about this selling the call stuff. Maybe your style is low-key. That's fine. Maybe what he's telling you is on some bang-bang plays you get the deer in the headlights loook or otherwise look indecisive. Being decisive is the key, IMO.

IMO 2 man is hard work. There's a lot to be covered by 4 eyes. Work to be in position at T & L, find the best angle, look decisive on your calls. Keep working at it, watch some of the big dogs work. You'll be all right.