Thread: good advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
>>> think that you are being told to stop watching the ball when it's outside of your area.

My question is when the ball is in my zone, and I am missing other action in my zone. Not about watching the ball outside of your zone.

thanks for the other feedback.
GTW
It is possible you are to close to the play. That tends to give you tunnel vision. Try maintaining a good angle on the dribbler/defender while moving 8-10 feet further away from the play than you are used to. This "opens up your cone of vision" and allows you to see the play on the dribbler as well as looking through this play and seeing the illegal screen ahead of the dribbler in your zone. I tenderd to work to close to the dribbler earlier in my career thinking this was good as I was "on top of" the play when in actuality it was blinding me to critical actions around the dribbler in my primary. This may have been what your evaluator was eluding too.

Mregor: Thumbs up for all referee publications I have quite a few of them and they are certainly helpful for all officials as they develop and advance their careers.