The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow OK (not OT) - here's my guess

If I had to guess what one of the FED rule changes will be, it would be to have team control during a throw-in with the exception that a player in front court may inbound into the back court. We've discussed this in another thread regarding the NCAA rule and it seems the FED might just pick this one up. I guess we'll find out soon.

Here's a question on that, though. Currently, in FED, if A1 inbounds in the front court to A2 and the ball hits A2's hand then goes into the back court where it is recovered by A2, there's no violation due to no team control. Is this different under the NCAA rule?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Not a violation under NCAA rules.

Rule 7, Section 6

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Apr 17, 2011 at 11:23am.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

Rule 7, Section 6

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court
OK - I get Art. 8. But in Art. 9, what if A1 inbounds in front court to A2 who catches the ball, ending the throw-in, then A2 passes to A3 who has the ball bounce off his hand and go into the back court? Is Art. 9 "saying" that a member of team A can then retrieve it without a violation? I'm sure that's not the correct interp, but what would a scenario for Art. 9 be?

BTW - thanks APG
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
OK - I get Art. 8. But in Art. 9, what if A1 inbounds in front court to A2 who catches the ball, ending the throw-in, then A2 passes to A3 who has the ball bounce off his hand and go into the back court? Is Art. 9 "saying" that a member of team A can then retrieve it without a violation? I'm sure that's not the correct interp, but what would a scenario for Art. 9 be?

BTW - thanks APG
I think you're complicating the issue here. The backcourt rule in NCAA and NFHS is exactly the same. Art. 9 is saying a player can cause the ball to enter the backcourt after a throw-in is over when player control hasn't been established. This covers the situation where A taps a throw-in into the backcourt...if there wasn't that article, then that play would be a backcourt violation as all four criteria would be technically met. This exception doesn't apply in your case because A2 has caught the ball thus player control has been established.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I think you're complicating the issue here. The backcourt rule in NCAA and NFHS is exactly the same. Art. 9 is saying a player can cause the ball to enter the backcourt after a throw-in is over when player control hasn't been established. This covers the situation where A taps a throw-in into the backcourt...if there wasn't that article, then that play would be a backcourt violation as all four criteria would be technically met. This exception doesn't apply in your case because A2 has caught the ball thus player control has been established.
Got it. Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Control Foul ...

Quote:
So as a NFHS rules are concerned, it would be same old, same old, with the exception that a foul by the offense during a throwin would be a team control foul, and thus, no free throws if in the bonus?

Are there any unintended consequences that we need to be aware of?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 17, 2011 at 01:35pm.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So as a NFHS rules are concerned, it would be same old, same old, with the exception that a foul by the offense during a throwin would be a team control foul, and thus, no free throws if in the bonus?

Are there any other unintended consequences that we need to be aware of?
Provided NFHS makes the rule such that it matches the NCAA, we wouldn't handle this play any different than we do with NFHS save for a foul during the throw-in.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure that's what Art 9 should mean and that is the way it is ruled, but that's not what it says - there is no "immediately" or some such word along with the "after throw-in ends".
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonref View Post
I'm sure that's what Art 9 should mean and that is the way it is ruled, but that's not what it says - there is no "immediately" or some such word along with the "after throw-in ends".
What is confusing about the wording? Who said anything about immediately? Art. 9 says that even though there's team control, the team in control can cause the ball to go into the backcourt and retrieve the ball in the backcourt, after the throw-in ends (ball is legally touched), if player control hasn't been established.

Last edited by APG; Sun Apr 17, 2011 at 02:17pm.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Are there any unintended consequences that we need to be aware of?
I believe someone brought this up in another thread. Currently in NFHS if there is an inadvertant whistle or double foul after the throw-in is legally touched but prior to either team gaining control then we should be going to the AP arrow for resolution. In NCAA there is team control by throw-in team and therefore a double foul or IW in that situation would give the ball back to the throw-in team.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe someone brought this up in another thread. Currently in NFHS if there is an inadvertant whistle or double foul after the throw-in is legally touched but prior to either team gaining control then we should be going to the AP arrow for resolution. In NCAA there is team control by throw-in team and therefore a double foul or IW in that situation would give the ball back to the throw-in team.
This'll teach me to open my big mouth and say we'd handle the play the EXACT same way.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
This'll teach me to open my big mouth and say we'd handle the play the EXACT same way.
I wonder how many of us would actually handle the play correctly in NFHS as the rule is written now? I had never even considered that subtle difference prior to someone else bringing it up.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 03:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Probably me, cause we had it happen in a juco game this season (partner called a backcourt violation incorrectly) and naturally the coaches thought we should've gone to the arrow.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What is confusing about the wording? Who said anything about immediately? Art. 9 says that even though there's team control, the team in control can cause the ball to go into the backcourt and retrieve the ball in the backcourt, after the throw-in ends (ball is legally touched), if player control hasn't been established.
I don't think there's anything confusing about the rule, but it does seem to be worded poorly. I don't see anything in the rule itself that says "before player control is established following a throw-in." IOW, by strict reading, a player could catch the throw-in pass in the FC and pass to a teammate. That teammate could tip it into the BC w/o penalty.

Obviously, we know what the intent is, and verbal precision has never been a hallmark of rule writers, so it gets enforced as intended rather than as written.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't think there's anything confusing about the rule, but it does seem to be worded poorly. I don't see anything in the rule itself that says "before player control is established following a throw-in." IOW, by strict reading, a player could catch the throw-in pass in the FC and pass to a teammate. That teammate could tip it into the BC w/o penalty.

Obviously, we know what the intent is, and verbal precision has never been a hallmark of rule writers, so it gets enforced as intended rather than as written.
There is someone around here who will argue that we do not know the intent of the rule.