The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yes. Several times and in different ways.
And always involving either slapping, pushing, or grasping; never mere "touching."
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yes. Several times and in different ways.
In case I ever see it while working, please share, and maybe I'll be prepared. By the way, did you T it under 10-3-4a?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And always involving either slapping, pushing, or grasping; never mere "touching."
Grasping and slapping, yes, but describe the pushing for me. Are we talking using the board/ring to reposition themselves to block a shot, get a rebound, or what?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
In case I ever see it while working, please share, and maybe I'll be prepared. By the way, did you T it under 10-3-4a?
A1 goes up for a 2 handed dunk, while airborn he loses control of the ball & grabs the rim with his left hand before dunking the ball with his right hand.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Believe me when I say, when you see it, it'll be patently blatant, and it'll call itself.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
A1 goes up for a 2 handed dunk, while airborn he loses control of the ball & grabs the rim with his left hand before dunking the ball with his right hand.
An interesting one: Isn't that legal, because done while dunking? Does the "before" element make it illegal? What about shooting motion? Did you call it?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Defensive player puts one hand on one side of the board to steady himself and swats the ball away on the other side with the other hand. "T" for the hand on the board and possible goaltending or basket interference on the swat.

Defensive player grabs the ring with one hand and swats a try away with the other. Same result. Technical foul and possible GT or BI.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An interesting one: Isn't that legal, because done while dunking?
Yeah, okay...
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
?????
Not if the grasping was done while control of the ball had been lost.

And if a player uses the rim to make a dunk possible (prolonging air time, gaining extra height, etc), ring him up.

And the exception is listed in 4-6, Basket Interference, not 10-3. There is no exception for player technicals during a dunk.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Apr 11, 2011 at 01:40pm.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An interesting one: Isn't that legal, because done while dunking? Does the "before" element make it illegal? What about shooting motion? Did you call it?
Is this a serious question?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'd "T" that one up under 10-3-3 instead of 10-3-4. The ball is dead on the initial grab so the subsequent dunk with a dead ball is ignored(unless you're MTD Sr. )

You have to make sure that another player wasn't underneath A1 though when he grabbed the ring. If so, you can still make 10-4-4(a) fit also. Same result.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Apr 11, 2011 at 11:49am.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:48am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Not if the grasping was done while control of the ball had been lost.

And if a player uses the rim to make a dunk possible (prolonging air time, gaining extra height, etc), ring him up.

And the exception is listed in 4-6, Basket Interference, not 10-3. There is no exception for player technicals during a dunk.
Ignoring your list, are you?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Believe me when I say, when you see it, it'll be patently blatant, and it'll call itself.
It will probably have to. In one of my first AAU games, I witnessed a kid make one of the most fluid hook and spin moves for an easy lay-in I have ever seen. It came toward me from the block across the key while in Lead. I was so shocked, I could do nothing but admire it (along with the even more mesmerized spectator standing behind me). Same thing happened later in the game by a very small player on the same team. Again, while in Lead, he grabs the jersey of a much larger opponent under the basket during rebounding, precisely at the moment the opponent tries to go up for the rebound, and then quickly released. The opponent didn't even know it had happened. Again, I was dumbfounded, and unable to react. I was not prepared for those sorts of tactics at that level.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Ignoring your list, are you?
He's getting quoted, which allows me to respond.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
He's getting quoted, which allows me to respond.
I've got the same problem..... Gapper had an issue with me quoting someone the other day and I told him I would try to avoid it in the future.....now, if I can only remember who it was.......