The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66361-help.html)

tref Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:27am

Help

Looking for a case play that shows the difference between slapping the backboard purposely & incidentally. Also, how slapping the backboard cannot be BI or GT.

Thanks!

Adam Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:30am

Does 10.3.4 work?

tref Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:47am

Thanks Snaqs!

billyu2 Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 747423)
Looking for a case play that shows the difference between slapping the backboard purposely & incidentally. Also, how slapping the backboard cannot be BI or GT.

Thanks!

The NFHS definition for basket interference, Rule 4-6, does not make any allowance for a BI violation to be called due to slapping the backboard no matter if it was done incidentally or intentionally.

BillyMac Wed Apr 06, 2011 05:47pm

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

(NFHS Rules)

Raymond Wed Apr 06, 2011 05:49pm

Couldn't find anything in the NCAA Case Book...can't check Snaq's Fed cite right now. But I'm sure Randy Brown could help there.

26 Year Gap Wed Apr 06, 2011 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 747535)
Couldn't find anything in the NCAA Case Book...can't check Snaq's Fed cite right now. But I'm sure Randy Brown could help there.

If you were Costello, you would say....
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1EH96nCoTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tref Wed Apr 06, 2011 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 747533)
A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

(NFHS Rules)

Absolutely, but some guys have to see it to believe it.

RandyBrown Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 747533)
It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring.

A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul.

Don't we have to qualify and/or supplement these a bit with 10-3-4?

APG Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBrown (Post 748964)
Don't we have to qualify and/or supplement these a bit with 10-3-4?

What needs to be qualified? What is incorrect about the statement? Billy pulled that particular statement from a "Commonly Misunderstood Rules" piece that he keeps.

Welpe Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 748973)
What needs to be qualified? What is incorrect about the statement? Billy pulled that particular statement from a "Commonly Misunderstood Rules" piece that he keeps.

It looks fine to me.

APG Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 748979)
It looks fine to me.

I know it's dangerous because the next 1,000 page novel might follow, but I'm curious as to what he meant by his statement. It looked fine to me as well. :confused:

Welpe Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 748981)
I know it's dangerous because the next 1,000 page novel might follow, but I'm curious as to what he meant by his statement. It looked fine to me as well. :confused:

To quote a scholarly television production: "Here we go."

RandyBrown Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17am

In the first passage of Billy's that I quoted, wouldn't touching to gain an advantage be an exception under 10-3-4a?

In the second, wouldn't less significant contact than Billy describes need to be added if it caused the ring to vibrate (including when try in flight or ball touching backboard) under 10-3-4b?

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBrown (Post 748988)
In the first passage of Billy's that I quoted, wouldn't touching to gain an advantage be an exception under 10-3-4a?

In the second, wouldn't less significant contact than Billy describes need to be added if it caused the ring to vibrate (including when try in flight or ball touching backboard) under 10-3-4b?

No.