The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Help

Looking for a case play that shows the difference between slapping the backboard purposely & incidentally. Also, how slapping the backboard cannot be BI or GT.

Thanks!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Does 10.3.4 work?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Snaqs!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Looking for a case play that shows the difference between slapping the backboard purposely & incidentally. Also, how slapping the backboard cannot be BI or GT.

Thanks!
The NFHS definition for basket interference, Rule 4-6, does not make any allowance for a BI violation to be called due to slapping the backboard no matter if it was done incidentally or intentionally.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

(NFHS Rules)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 05:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Couldn't find anything in the NCAA Case Book...can't check Snaq's Fed cite right now. But I'm sure Randy Brown could help there.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 05:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Couldn't find anything in the NCAA Case Book...can't check Snaq's Fed cite right now. But I'm sure Randy Brown could help there.
If you were Costello, you would say....
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

(NFHS Rules)
Absolutely, but some guys have to see it to believe it.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring.

A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul.
Don't we have to qualify and/or supplement these a bit with 10-3-4?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
Don't we have to qualify and/or supplement these a bit with 10-3-4?
What needs to be qualified? What is incorrect about the statement? Billy pulled that particular statement from a "Commonly Misunderstood Rules" piece that he keeps.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:00am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What needs to be qualified? What is incorrect about the statement? Billy pulled that particular statement from a "Commonly Misunderstood Rules" piece that he keeps.
It looks fine to me.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It looks fine to me.
I know it's dangerous because the next 1,000 page novel might follow, but I'm curious as to what he meant by his statement. It looked fine to me as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:11am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I know it's dangerous because the next 1,000 page novel might follow, but I'm curious as to what he meant by his statement. It looked fine to me as well.
To quote a scholarly television production: "Here we go."
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

In the first passage of Billy's that I quoted, wouldn't touching to gain an advantage be an exception under 10-3-4a?

In the second, wouldn't less significant contact than Billy describes need to be added if it caused the ring to vibrate (including when try in flight or ball touching backboard) under 10-3-4b?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
In the first passage of Billy's that I quoted, wouldn't touching to gain an advantage be an exception under 10-3-4a?

In the second, wouldn't less significant contact than Billy describes need to be added if it caused the ring to vibrate (including when try in flight or ball touching backboard) under 10-3-4b?
No.