Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC.:
I've seen this one twice in the last week and
yes by different teams. A1 is inbounding ball
in back court btw mid court and foul line extended. A2 starts on the court and then runs around A1 and back on to the court after crossing the division line. This play is obviously confusing to the defense.
Now when A1 passed it to A2 (who was now inbounds) I called it a violation because A2 can not be the 1st to touch the ball after he ran out of bounds). But I do recall someone once saying something about a Technical for delay of game or something. My partner and I left it as a nocall when they passed it to A3. Any comments ???

What you have is a dead ball situation and just like leaving the floor during a 20/30 second timeout is not permitted that shouldn't be either because you have to reward the defense at some point. It may not be in the rule book but it is comparable to warning players to not leave playing floor during 20/30 second timeout.

Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, actually this is a LIVE ball situation, since A1 is inbounding the ball. So, I'm not sure I can agree with the comparison to telling players to stay on the court during a 20-/30-second timeout. By rule, a player cannot leave the court for an unauthorized reason during a live ball. So again, technically speaking this situation would be a technical foul, though issuing a warning to not do it again would seem a reasonable alternative the first time it happens.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
Thumbs up

That's the whole deal, todd!! Todd's reply was the best in this category. Players cannot leave the floor for any unfair advantage. It's a T. you can't make up your own rules. Warn once. Then call the T if it happens again. If u warn too much, ur not helping the players.
It's like being pulled over by a cop for speeding. he may issue a warning, but if the same cop pulls u over half an hour later for speeding he will issue a ticket. He will reason that the warning did not help. The ticket will help u to remember that speeding will cost you!!
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Being a Boilermaker, I have to bring up this inbounds play. In a close Purdue game a few years back, coach Keady called a play which must be the basketball equivelent to the baseball's old missing ball trick.

Team B is trailing late in the game and trying to catch up. With little time left, Team B scores and bring the game to within one posession. Team B calls time out following the bucket to organize their press of the inbounds. Team A (Purdue) is free to run the baseline following the made basket even following the time-out. A1 accepts the ball from the official. A2 leaves the playing area to the baseline on the other side of the basket from A1. A1 passes to A2 out of bounds. Team B is bewildered. A2 inbounds to A3 with little opposition from Team B. Coach B explodes when there is no call.

Do you think that warrnets a "T"?

- Duck
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Duck, That situation is not a "T" because of the ability to run the baseline after a score. This ability to run the baseline is still in existence after the time out. On a designated spot throw-in, however, under Rule 9, Section 2, Article 12, "no teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated spot throw-in begins." The penalty comes under Rule 10, Section 3, Articel 4, "no player shall leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay returning after legally being out of bounds." The penalty is a technical foul. Once the designated spot throw-in begins, i.e. the ball is at the disposal of the player of the team entitled to the throw-in, a warning cannot be given. If you don't catch the action prior to the throw in beginning, the penalty is a technical foul. The only time you may be able to warn is if, prior to putting the ball at the player's disposal, you see someone out of bounds. Then you tell him/her they need to be inbounds. However, if they don't listen then, put the ball at the disposal and then bang them. I whole-heartedly agree with the posts above, a rule is a rule! If you don't enforce this one, the defense gains an advantage.

Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Walter,

You add this stipulation "after a designated spot throw-in begins" in citing the rule in 9, Section 2, Article 12. If the team in question is not restricted in using the baseline, nor restricted by as to which player must perform the inbound, the how does this rule apply? Wouldn't this rule only apply to a turnover inbounds situation where the players are restricted in movement?

Clearly the five second restriction begins when the first player (A1) was given the ball, and Team A has to carry the burden of the additional time needed to perform the play. It seemed sneaky to me, but I don't see where it is an infraction.

Again, I would welcome any clarification.

Thanks,

Duck
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Duck1,

You're right. The situation you speak of is not an infraction. I don't have my rule book with me but there is a rule that says something to the effect that when a player is allowed to run the baseline during a throw-in, he may do so or pass to a teammate along the basline who is clearly not inbounds at the time. The five second count begins when the first player has the ball at his disposal so you must perform this play fairly quickly so the second player can release the ball on the throw-in before the 5-sec. count expires.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2000, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

The difference between the two situations, as implied above, is that one is talking about a "designated-spot throw in," while the other is not. A designated throw-in means the inbounder is specifically set once the official hands him the ball, and it is a "spot" throw in--it may not occur from any other location, and no teammate can then come out of bounds to make the throw-in. After a made basket, the ref does not designate the inbounder and the throw-in may occur from any spot on the endline. That means the first player may run the endline, or he may pass the ball to a teammate who is out-of-bounds on the endline to make the throw-in. This is a fairly common--and LEGAL-- play, and has been so for many years.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited April 29, 2000).]
Old Tue May 02, 2000, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Duck: If the throw-in is after a score, no infraction as long as they beat the five second count with the throw-in. If designated spot, all the restrictions apply.