The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Shore Mass
Posts: 121
Syr v Marq flop

Syracuse on defense. Center for Marq runs to the middle of the lane. He turns and faces the ball at top of the key. Syracuse center is right behind the Marq center playing defense. Syr player wraps arm around waist of Marq player and falls down and drags Marq player on top of him. As a TV viewer in live action all you see is the two players fall down and it looks like either a team control or block foul. After seeing the replay you realize what actually happened. Unfortunately, the ref must have had a bad angle and called it a team control foul and Syr got the ball.

What would you have called using NHFS?
common foul?
intentional foul?
technical foul?

My first thought was intentional but I looked up 10-3-6f -- Unsporting Technical foul - Player faking being fouled.

In my opinion, this is a player faking being fouled. I do not think there is a better example of a player faking being fouled than actually pulling the opponent down on top of him. If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:17am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
How do you know what the official actually saw on that play? Did you have his view?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:19am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
We had a case this year, VG (GV) where a player "attempted" to draw a charge and fell down when the offensive player was two to three FEET away and there was no contact!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Shore Mass
Posts: 121
JR, what is your point? That the official had a good view and intentionally made the incorrect call? I would not take that opinion of my fellow official.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:30am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
JR, what is your point? That the official had a good view and intentionally made the incorrect call? I would not take that opinion of my fellow official.
Maybe my point is that maybe it's possible that you're wrong?

There's always two sides to every story. I like to hear both sides.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:33am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Syracuse on defense. Center for Marq runs to the middle of the lane. He turns and faces the ball at top of the key. Syracuse center is right behind the Marq center playing defense. Syr player wraps arm around waist of Marq player and falls down and drags Marq player on top of him. As a TV viewer in live action all you see is the two players fall down and it looks like either a team control or block foul. After seeing the replay you realize what actually happened. Unfortunately, the ref must have had a bad angle and called it a team control foul and Syr got the ball.

What would you have called using NHFS?
common foul?
intentional foul?
technical foul?

My first thought was intentional but I looked up 10-3-6f -- Unsporting Technical foul - Player faking being fouled.

In my opinion, this is a player faking being fouled. I do not think there is a better example of a player faking being fouled than actually pulling the opponent down on top of him. If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
I would not call a T for this contact. If it's as you say it is, call the intentional and be done with it.

When would I call it? See grunewar's post.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
How do you know what the official actually saw on that play? Did you have his view?
Hoopguy did say he was basing this on seeing the replay. He acknowledges that in real time all he saw was 2 players falling down. I don't think he is bashing the officials.

Now to address the question. Hoops, why does it need to go to a technical for faking a foul? If you see a player grab another player around the waist and pull him down why not just call a foul, probably an intentional foul? Wouldn't that stop the behavior?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:39am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hoopguy did say he was basing this on seeing the replay. He acknowledges that in real time all he saw was 2 players falling down. I don't think he is bashing the officials.
And if/when I see the replay, I can comment responsibly on it too.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 01:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,634
DTotD: Chile U-20 player hits himself in face with opponent's hand - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports


This is taking flopping to a new level.

Watch as he closes his eyes and turns his face in anticipation of the impending impact. He clearly causes it and knows that it is coming.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:08am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
DTotD: Chile U-20 player hits himself in face with opponent's hand - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports


This is taking flopping to a new level.

Watch as he closes his eyes and turns his face in anticipation of the impending impact. He clearly causes it and knows that it is coming.
Red card for VC against the Chilean player?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flop scotties7125 Basketball 9 Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14am
T for the flop Junker Basketball 29 Tue Jan 25, 2005 09:44am
T and the flop cmathews Basketball 12 Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27am
Double FT violation KS/Marq Dave Brost Basketball 6 Wed Apr 09, 2003 02:18pm
1 and 1 flop rgaudreau Basketball 22 Sun Nov 11, 2001 09:11pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1