The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Syr v Marq flop

Syracuse on defense. Center for Marq runs to the middle of the lane. He turns and faces the ball at top of the key. Syracuse center is right behind the Marq center playing defense. Syr player wraps arm around waist of Marq player and falls down and drags Marq player on top of him. As a TV viewer in live action all you see is the two players fall down and it looks like either a team control or block foul. After seeing the replay you realize what actually happened. Unfortunately, the ref must have had a bad angle and called it a team control foul and Syr got the ball.

What would you have called using NHFS?
common foul?
intentional foul?
technical foul?

My first thought was intentional but I looked up 10-3-6f -- Unsporting Technical foul - Player faking being fouled.

In my opinion, this is a player faking being fouled. I do not think there is a better example of a player faking being fouled than actually pulling the opponent down on top of him. If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:17am
In Memoriam

How do you know what the official actually saw on that play? Did you have his view?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
We had a case this year, VG (GV) where a player "attempted" to draw a charge and fell down when the offensive player was two to three FEET away and there was no contact!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

JR, what is your point? That the official had a good view and intentionally made the incorrect call? I would not take that opinion of my fellow official.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR, what is your point? That the official had a good view and intentionally made the incorrect call? I would not take that opinion of my fellow official.
Maybe my point is that maybe it's possible that you're wrong?

There's always two sides to every story. I like to hear both sides.

But that's just me.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Syracuse on defense. Center for Marq runs to the middle of the lane. He turns and faces the ball at top of the key. Syracuse center is right behind the Marq center playing defense. Syr player wraps arm around waist of Marq player and falls down and drags Marq player on top of him. As a TV viewer in live action all you see is the two players fall down and it looks like either a team control or block foul. After seeing the replay you realize what actually happened. Unfortunately, the ref must have had a bad angle and called it a team control foul and Syr got the ball.

What would you have called using NHFS?
common foul?
intentional foul?
technical foul?

My first thought was intentional but I looked up 10-3-6f -- Unsporting Technical foul - Player faking being fouled.

In my opinion, this is a player faking being fouled. I do not think there is a better example of a player faking being fouled than actually pulling the opponent down on top of him. If this is not a player faking being fouled, then in what instance would you call a player faking being fouled?
I would not call a T for this contact. If it's as you say it is, call the intentional and be done with it.

When would I call it? See grunewar's post.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
How do you know what the official actually saw on that play? Did you have his view?
Hoopguy did say he was basing this on seeing the replay. He acknowledges that in real time all he saw was 2 players falling down. I don't think he is bashing the officials.

Now to address the question. Hoops, why does it need to go to a technical for faking a foul? If you see a player grab another player around the waist and pull him down why not just call a foul, probably an intentional foul? Wouldn't that stop the behavior?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hoopguy did say he was basing this on seeing the replay. He acknowledges that in real time all he saw was 2 players falling down. I don't think he is bashing the officials.
And if/when I see the replay, I can comment responsibly on it too.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

DTotD: Chile U-20 player hits himself in face with opponent's hand - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports

This is taking flopping to a new level.

Watch as he closes his eyes and turns his face in anticipation of the impending impact. He clearly causes it and knows that it is coming.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:08am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
DTotD: Chile U-20 player hits himself in face with opponent's hand - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports

This is taking flopping to a new level.

Watch as he closes his eyes and turns his face in anticipation of the impending impact. He clearly causes it and knows that it is coming.
Red card for VC against the Chilean player?