The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Had a question regarding the double free throw violation that happened in the second half of the Kansas vs. Marquette game on Saturday. They did not really explain the call that well, but it looked to me like it was a double violation on the front end of a one-and-one? If this was the call, wouldn't the play be dead immediatley, based on the shooting team violating, and you go to the posession-arrow? Or did they say that the defender's act caused the shooter's teammate to violate?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost
Had a question regarding the double free throw violation that happened in the second half of the Kansas vs. Marquette game on Saturday. They did not really explain the call that well, but it looked to me like it was a double violation on the front end of a one-and-one? If this was the call, wouldn't the play be dead immediatley, based on the shooting team violating, and you go to the posession-arrow? Or did they say that the defender's act caused the shooter's teammate to violate?
There is rarely a "double lane violation" any more.

If two players enter the lane, but not simultaneously (and the refs would "never" see them going in simultaneously), only the first player is penalized.

Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

If two players enter the lane, but not simultaneously (and the refs would "never" see them going in simultaneously), only the first player is penalized.

Bob -- Did you see the play? It looked like a lane violation by the shooting team, but he still got both shots. I didn't understand it either.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Bob -- Did you see the play? It looked like a lane violation by the shooting team, but he still got both shots. I didn't understand it either.
To me, it looked like the third guy up the lane (defense) was first in followed VERY closely by the adjacent offensive player.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

To me, it looked like the third guy up the lane (defense) was first in followed VERY closely by the adjacent offensive player.
This is correct. In fact, after the defender closest to the shooter stepped in, the offensive player, in between the two defensive players in marked lane spaces, started to enter, but sort of held up (he probably crossed the plane here, but it was close). At this point he got some help in the form of a clear push in the back by the defender in the low block, which caused him to definitely enter the lane. And the push wasn't even subtle. The guy just reached around behind him with his right arm and tossed him forward! I chuckled as the defender who pushed him in then proceeded to point him out to the official! The C correctly came over and called the violation only on the defensive player who entered first. Kids, Geez!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
second half of the Kansas vs. Marquette game
'nuff said
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down NO double violation

Dave,
It looks like you must have missed another one !!!! If you watched closely the offensive player was helped into the lane. Looks like those officials made the right call!!