The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
7-6
Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.
You posted yours while I was typing mine. Guess my question is answered.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcso77 View Post
that was not a back court, there is no team control on a throw in, cuse player was in the air, lands on the mid court line...
You're right but for the wrong reason. Under NCAA rules, there IS team control during a throw-in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
What i saw was him landing in front court without ever starting team control and stepping on the line. Either way no BC violation. Is there a different rule for college.
Just want to point out that there is team control during a throw-in under NCAA rules
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Marq/Syra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
What i saw was him landing in front court without ever starting team control and stepping on the line. Either way no BC violation. Is there a different rule for college.
Why is everyone referring to TC? There is quite certainly TC in NCAA-M on a throw-in. TC is irrelevant to whether or not a backcourt violation should have been called on this play.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Maybe the announcer was an old fogey who remembers back 30+ years when that used to be the operative ruling???
Change of status.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcso77 View Post
that was not a back court, there is no team control on a throw in, cuse player was in the air, lands on the mid court line...
There is TC in NCAA-M on a throw-in. But TC is irrelevant on a throw-in b/c the backcourt exception is the same for NFHS as it is for NCAA.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

If this was NFHS and I think the same for college: On the throw in, the Syracuse player jumped from his front court caught the ball in the air and landed first on his right foot on the division line (which is in the back court). His left foot touched down in the front court. In my opinion this was legal. Although, without dribbling, somehow the Syracuse player’s right foot or pivot foot ended up in the front court. This is when a traveling call should have been made but the official called over and back. The Syracuse player did not commit a back court violation because during the throw in there is exception to the back court rule. This is a great play for discussion!
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Sure is: 2011 Tournament Discussion Redux
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:45pm
I miss being on the floor

Just to pile on...I heard Will Perdue calling the North Carolina game on radio today. First he accused an official who, by the radio description, sold a blocking foul call of making it about himself. Then when there was a close OOB call, said he thought they could look at the monitor to determine who hit it out of bounds.

He was quickly corrected.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Just to pile on...I heard Will Perdue calling the North Carolina game on radio today. First he accused an official who, by the radio description, sold a blocking foul call of making it about himself. Then when there was a close OOB call, said he thought they could look at the monitor to determine who hit it out of bounds.

He was quickly corrected.
Maybe he also works NBA games where you could do this under 2 in the fourth and all of OT. Or maybe he's just like 99 percent of announcers and didn't know the rule haha

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:06pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Maybe he also works NBA games where you could do this under 2 in the fourth and all of OT. Or maybe he's just like 99 percent of announcers and didn't know the rule haha
Probably both. That's what they get for having non-college guys do college games. Barkley has been brutal in the studio.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Art. 8. After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his/her front
court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the
playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one
or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down
was in the front court or back court.
Section 4.

based on this looks like they made the wrong call
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently that official has released a statement stating he did count to 5 seconds.

His problem is that there is video evidence, and it doesn't back up his statement.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cartmel probably did say five in his head, the problem is hand count was not there yet.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTripleJump View Post
Apparently that official has released a statement stating he did count to 5 seconds.

His problem is that there is video evidence, and it doesn't back up his statement.
I timed it a couple of times on the stopwatch and it's around 4.8 each time. Pretty darn close if you ask me.
Closed Thread