The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I already reported it too. I also went in and put that idiot on ignore.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Got it. It just said "if it's excessive."

Any guidelines/ideas on what you're looking for to determine if it's just a "hard foul" or it qualifies as "excessive?"
d. Intentional personal foul. An intentional foul shall be a personal foul that, on the basis of an official’s observation of the act, may be purposeful or reactionary and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive, nonflagrant contact with an opponent while playing the ball;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
9-2-2: The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court.......
thanks! if i'd had my book I could've read the case play that specifically addresses this
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I know this has been talked about in the past, but am I the only one who thinks it's dumb to not use Precision Time during the tournament? It seems like that would solve the vast majority of the clock issues.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
I know this has been talked about in the past, but am I the only one who thinks it's dumb to not use Precision Time during the tournament? It seems like that would solve the vast majority of the clock issues.
It was talked about last week. No one really had a sensible reason why the NCAA couldn't pay to use the system at all of its venues.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Verbal warning for Michigan's bench at around the 5:00 minute mark of the first half. Official actually blew his whistle to hold up throw-in.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I already reported it too. I also went in and put that idiot on ignore.
While I admire your (and everyone else's) enthusiasm for reporting this, I'd appreciate it if you did NOT report it. It just clogs up my inbox.

I check here as often as I'm able, and delte the spam when I see it. Reporting it doesn't get it deleted any sooner.

(Now, if I miss something, and it's there for a day or two, then, please, report it.)

(And, I check the general, baseball, basketball and testing forums. If it's in another form, then report it.)
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

On the end of the UNC/Washington game -- is the clock operator supposed to stop the clock when the ball lands or when an officials signals that play stops due to OOB?

When reviewing on video, what are they looking for? When the ball actually touched out of bounds or when it was signaled out of bounds?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post
On the end of the UNC/Washington game -- is the clock operator supposed to stop the clock when the ball lands or when an officials signals that play stops due to OOB?

When reviewing on video, what are they looking for? When the ball actually touched out of bounds or when it was signaled out of bounds?
When the whistle blows.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post

1. How in the world is the clock operator supposed to see when the ball lands?

2. John Adams addressed this on TV. IOW, always listen to bob.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Texas v Arizona game - 5 second call

So I am clearly a Texas fan. The question I have is on the 5-second call at the end of the game?

After a timeout, Texas is inbounding the ball and at about 4.5 seconds, the inbounder goes to call a timeout. The ref, who has just started his fifth arm swing, stops his count and immediately calls a five-second violation.

The TNT announcer said after the game it was the right call because you can't call a timeout after four seconds. Maybe he said after the ref starts his fifth arm swing.

In any event, sounds strange to me. Can somebody help me understand?

I'm not bitter, just curious. Obviously NCAA rules.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

They are wrong. There is no rule that states a time out can not be called when a count has reached four.

I personally thought I heard timeout a little bit after the fourth swing. The official did call the violation before his fifth swing. He was maybe halfway into it. Mechanics wise, I thought it was a poor job.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 08:14pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5
Section 12. Timeouts Not Granted

Art. 1. No timeouts shall be granted:

a. To the opponents of the throw-in team after the throw-in starts.
b. During an interrupted dribble.
c. To a player or coach when an airborne player’s momentum is carrying him/her out of bounds or into the backcourt.
d. Unless there is player control by the requesting team. Exception: Rule 5-12.1.c.
e. Until after the jump ball that begins the game and the conditions as described in Rule 5-10 are in effect.

That's it...nothing about not granting one after a certain point in a count.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounder was calling for the TO even before he finished the 4 second count.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Gosh these announcers annoy me to no end. They do such a disservice to officiating by spouting off these made-up rules.
Closed Thread