The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Gosh these announcers annoy me to no end. They do such a disservice to officiating by spouting off these made-up rules.
What I have to wonder is if they asked John Adams before spouting that one off. I know I've seen him on the networks for controversial plays. I'd have to venture he wasn't approached before they made that misstatement because there was a potential foul at the end of this game and they were confused about it. Contact happened after the lights went off, but it took them a while to figure that out.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to get to the bottom of this as well, because i'd never heard of rule until it was called and seth davis (always the voice of reason ) said it, and have seen plenty of times where the timeout was granted. Obviously if that's incorrect and this was the correct ruling, i'd like to know for my own future reference.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:30pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach View Post

The TNT announcer said after the game it was the right call because you can't call a timeout after four seconds.
In any event, sounds strange to me. Can somebody help me understand?
Maybe the announcer was an old fogey who remembers back 30+ years when that used to be the operative ruling???
Not applicable at all in the modern game.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
I'd like to get to the bottom of this as well, because i'd never heard of rule until it was called and seth davis (always the voice of reason ) said it, and have seen plenty of times where the timeout was granted. Obviously if that's incorrect and this was the correct ruling, i'd like to know for my own future reference.
Well I posted the pertitent NCAA rule above. You can also download the NCAA rules book and case book online.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Seth Freaking Davis...this is the same guy who cried for hours and hours about a so-called travel on an up-and-under move by Georgetown's Jeff Green in an Elite 8 game against North Carolina.

When it was finally explained to him what a travel actually is, Davis had the audacity to go to the slow-mo replay zoomed in on Green's foot to show that he lifted it about a half an inch off the floor, so technically he did travel.

Davis has since recanted his stupid-ness via twitter.

Dolt.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well I posted the pertitent NCAA rule above. You can also download the NCAA rules book and case book online.
I didn't know that was available for download, i'll look into that, thanks

...Also on the seth davis thing, that leads me into a rant about announcers. I really wish announcers and gasbags like Davis had to have an understanding of the rules; People listen to these guys and take their word as if they know for a fact what they're saying and it bothers me when they talk about rules and are flat out wrong. Granted i'm biased but officiating is difficult enough to do on it's own with a bunch of armchair critics, most of which have never done it, we don't need these tv hairdo's spouting false information as fact making everything more difficult for everybody. Their job is not a difficult one, it's really inexcusable that they give information on the rules without actually knowing them.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Syracuse/Marquette backcourt call

The officials called a backcourt violation on Syracuse with approximately 30 seconds left. The violation occurred on a throw-in. Looked to me as if the player secured the ball while airborne, and landed with one foot on the division line, i.e., no violation. Anyone else see the play?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
The officials called a backcourt violation on Syracuse with approximately 30 seconds left. The violation occurred on a throw-in. Looked to me as if the player secured the ball while airborne, and landed with one foot on the division line, i.e., no violation. Anyone else see the play?
I saw it, and it took a second, and then I realized it might be the wrong call. I'm sure it's wrong in HS.

But I also remember that college rules handle it slightly differently, and that it changed a year or two or three ago. Help please?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Syracuse/Marquette

Anybody see the BC violation on Syracuse at the end. In slow motion, it looked to me like he never had control until his foot was off the line. Real time I would have probably made the same call. Lots of bang bang calls in the tourny. Doing a good job.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

see the tourney discussion thread. Also, what's the rule about bc/fc on a throw-in?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

It was incorrect. College and high school handles backcourt violations the exact same way.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I saw it, and it took a second, and then I realized it might be the wrong call. I'm sure it's wrong in HS.

But I also remember that college rules handle it slightly differently, and that it changed a year or two or three ago. Help please?
The rule is no different in college. IMO, it should not have been a BC violation. However I think he may have travelled. I need to see the replay again.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

that was not a back court, there is no team control on a throw in, cuse player was in the air, lands on the mid court line...
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post

7-6
Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
What i saw was him landing in front court without ever starting team control and stepping on the line. Either way no BC violation. Is there a different rule for college.
Closed Thread