The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Some weird situations and a general Q about training

During our recent rec league basketball finals, we had 3 crazy situations, all within the last 2 minutes of the game. I dug around on the internet looking for answers to these, but I couldn't find anything definitive (only armchair referee opinions). You guys were able to help me last time, so I'm hoping you can bail me out again!

These are 4th-6th graders, but the rules are loosely based on NCAA rules (our head official knows those rules but isn't as familiar with NFHS rules). One key difference is that we do not allow backcourt defense until there are 2 minutes left in the game. I want to get some opinions on these calls (not to protest, just to learn for next year - my wife is the league director).

1) With 1:50 left, A1 has inbounded the ball to A2 after B's score. B1 attempts to steal the ball from A2 as soon as it is inbounded, and the official blows the whistle just as B1 gains possession and signals illegal backcourt defense. The official then realizes the clock had ticked below 2 minutes so the backcourt defense is legal. She reverses her call, but gives the ball back to A to inbound, while the B coach argues that B should retain possession.

2) With ~30 seconds left, A1 is dribbling from center court towards the corner with B1 agressively defending. A1 swings wide and the official on that side can't get out of the way quickly enough. A1 runs into the referee, falls, and loses the ball out of bounds. Referee rules that since it was his fault, A get the ball out of bounds. B argues that the player lost the ball out of bounds and it's the player's job to avoid the referees.

3) A1 passes to A2 just inside the frontcourt with about 4 seconds left in the game. A2 then drops to the floor face down in the fetal position, covering the ball, letting the clock run out. Coach B argues that falling to the floor with possession should be an automatic travel. Coach A claims that even though A3's knees and arms were on the ground, his toes were still contacting the ground so he didn't move his pivot foot, thus no travel.

And it's not really a rules question, but I'll ask here anyway: what's the best way to get your refs trained? Sitting down and reading the rule book doesn't really prepare you for real game situations (not to mention, I could never get them to do it). I'm sure there are videos but I don't know which ones are good. Plus this is a church rec league, so I can't spend much money. However, I really think we need a bit more instruction than "put this striped shirt on and blow this whistle when you see something bad." It really helps to combat the boo-birds when your officials act like that know what they're doing.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

1) Inadvertant whistle. Since B had the ball before the whistle, the ball goes to B.

2) The referee is part of the floor. B's ball.

3) It's traveling to touch the floor with other than the foot or hand while holding the ball.

Seems like the officials were 0 for 3.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
During our recent rec league basketball finals, we had 3 crazy situations, all within the last 2 minutes of the game. I dug around on the internet looking for answers to these, but I couldn't find anything definitive (only armchair referee opinions). You guys were able to help me last time, so I'm hoping you can bail me out again!

These are 4th-6th graders, but the rules are loosely based on NCAA rules (our head official knows those rules but isn't as familiar with NFHS rules). One key difference is that we do not allow backcourt defense until there are 2 minutes left in the game. I want to get some opinions on these calls (not to protest, just to learn for next year - my wife is the league director).

1) With 1:50 left, A1 has inbounded the ball to A2 after B's score. B1 attempts to steal the ball from A2 as soon as it is inbounded, and the official blows the whistle just as B1 gains possession and signals illegal backcourt defense. The official then realizes the clock had ticked below 2 minutes so the backcourt defense is legal. She reverses her call, but gives the ball back to A to inbound, while the B coach argues that B should retain possession.

2) With ~30 seconds left, A1 is dribbling from center court towards the corner with B1 agressively defending. A1 swings wide and the official on that side can't get out of the way quickly enough. A1 runs into the referee, falls, and loses the ball out of bounds. Referee rules that since it was his fault, A get the ball out of bounds. B argues that the player lost the ball out of bounds and it's the player's job to avoid the referees.

3) A1 passes to A2 just inside the frontcourt with about 4 seconds left in the game. A2 then drops to the floor face down in the fetal position, covering the ball, letting the clock run out. Coach B argues that falling to the floor with possession should be an automatic travel. Coach A claims that even though A3's knees and arms were on the ground, his toes were still contacting the ground so he didn't move his pivot foot, thus no travel.

And it's not really a rules question, but I'll ask here anyway: what's the best way to get your refs trained? Sitting down and reading the rule book doesn't really prepare you for real game situations (not to mention, I could never get them to do it). I'm sure there are videos but I don't know which ones are good. Plus this is a church rec league, so I can't spend much money. However, I really think we need a bit more instruction than "put this striped shirt on and blow this whistle when you see something bad." It really helps to combat the boo-birds when your officials act like that know what they're doing.
(1) is an IW. Give the ball back to B if they possessed it at the time of the whistle.

(2) The official is part of the court. If A was the last to touch (ignoring the official) give it to B.

(3) Travel as long as the player had possession while standing and all the way to the floor. Anything touching other than a hand or foot in this situation is a travel.

I don't really have an answer to the other one with the exception of having a few strong qualified people who can act as trainers and mentors. Do you pay your officials enough to attract people that work higher levels of basketball?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1) It depends if the whistle was blown prior to B1 gaining possession. Even if it was split second before, the ball should go to A. If it was after, B should get the ball. May not seem fair, but "accidental whistles" get resumed with the point of interruption, which in this case would mean the ball would go to whichever team had legal "team control" at the point of the whistle.
2) B should stop arguing in a 4-6th grade game. They're right about the rule, but they're 10 year old kids. Some discretion on the part of the officials isn't really out of order on this play.
3) A player falling to the floor with the ball is a travel. I can't recall if the NCAA has a pivot foot rule on this, though. High school does not. Again, however, see #2.

4) Contact a local assigner and be prepared to pay a little bit more for your officials.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the rapid replies!

To clarify on #1 (based on what I saw from the scorers table): A2 has possession, B1 slaps the ball and they both begin to scramble for control of the ball. During the tussle, whistle blows, then B1 grabs ball.

Given that, it sounds like A's ball, right?

The sad thing is the coach of B is also our head official (I don't think we're going to allow refs to coach next year). As much as he hates people arguing with his calls, he complains more than any of them!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

To clarify on #1 (based on what I saw from the scorers table): A2 has possession, B1 slaps the ball and they both begin to scramble for control of the ball. During the tussle, whistle blows, then B1 grabs ball.

Right, and this play doesn't seem fair, but it's the way it is.

Quote:
The sad thing is the coach of B is also our head official (I don't think we're going to allow refs to coach next year). As much as he hates people arguing with his calls, he complains more than any of them!
Find yourself a new head official. He's a coach, not a ref.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

These are 4th-6th graders, but the rules are loosely based on NCAA rules (our head official knows those rules but isn't as familiar with NFHS rules). One key difference is that we do not allow back court defense until there are 2 minutes left in the game. I want to get some opinions on these calls (not to protest, just to learn for next year - my wife is the league director).

1) With 1:50 left, A1 has in-bounded the ball to A2 after B's score. B1 attempts to steal the ball from A2 as soon as it is in-bounded, and the official blows the whistle just as B1 gains possession and signals illegal backcourt defense. The official then realizes the clock had ticked below 2 minutes so the back court defense is legal. She reverses her call, but gives the ball back to A to inbound, while the B coach argues that B should retain possession.

2) With ~30 seconds left, A1 is dribbling from center court towards the corner with B1 aggressively defending. A1 swings wide and the official on that side can't get out of the way quickly enough. A1 runs into the referee, falls, and loses the ball out of bounds. Referee rules that since it was his fault, A get the ball out of bounds. B argues that the player lost the ball out of bounds and it's the player's job to avoid the referees.

3) A1 passes to A2 just inside the front court with about 4 seconds left in the game. A2 then drops to the floor face down in the fetal position, covering the ball, letting the clock run out. Coach B argues that falling to the floor with possession should be an automatic travel. Coach A claims that even though A2's knees and arms were on the ground, his toes were still contacting the ground so he didn't move his pivot foot, thus no travel.

1) This is not a NCAA or NFHS rule, so your local rule would apply, including how to handle errant cases. So what does the rule book for your league say? I interpret the perceived illegal defense to occur when A2 has possession. So I would give the ball back to A. My interp is akin to a coach asking for a TO, and before you whistle the play dead, B steals the ball. We grant the TO and still award A the TI, even though B had the ball at the time of the whistle.

2) B is correct. The officials are part of the floor. It should be B's ball.

3) Fed = travel. NCAA = ? ...... "Pivot toes" = LMAO

Training: Rules meetings. Then philosophy discussion. Then get refs to watch others work games with commentary from an experienced official. Get them to watch video too.

Edit: For the purposes of block/charge and LGP, etc, the FIBA rule is the same as the Fed rule (AFAICT). Having said that, these free FIBA videos are priceless.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Been there, done that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
so your local rule would apply, including how to handle errant cases. So what does the rule book for your league say?
We have similar rules (youth officials too) and run into the "when is a rebound posession," how long can players "fight for the ball," "what if player B1 is running back to get in the play and has his hands up/out in the backcourt and A1 throws a pass that hits him in the back court - was he playing defense?" Shoot me!

Quote:
Fed = travel. NCAA = ? ...... "Pivot toes" = LMAO
Better than the infamous "pivot cheek!"
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) This is not a NCAA or NFHS rule, so your local rule would apply, including how to handle errant cases. So what does the rule book for your league say?
Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything. I'm the keeper/author of our rule book so that's why I'm trying to get some input.

Quote:
Edit: For the purposes of block/charge and LGP, etc, the FIBA rule is the same as the Fed rule (AFAICT). Having said that, these free FIBA videos are priceless.
Thanks for the links to the FIBA video. Luckily, my wife and I are in charge of making rules for the league (with input from other staff members), so if the FIBA videos are all we have access to right now, we can tailor our rules to fit them. I'd much rather have a "different" set of rules that are uniformly and correctly enforced than have a "right" set of the rules that we're confused about.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything. I'm the keeper/author of our rule book so that's why I'm trying to get some input.

Thanks for the links to the FIBA video. Luckily, my wife and I are in charge of making rules for the league (with input from other staff members), so if the FIBA videos are all we have access to right now, we can tailor our rules to fit them. I'd much rather have a "different" set of rules that are uniformly and correctly enforced than have a "right" set of the rules that we're confused about.
Personally, for 4-6th graders, I'd use NFHS rules. But in the end, the differences are mostly insignificant. NFHS rules on technical fouls are, IMO, much simpler.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

I'm guessing that the illegal defense occurs when playing defense in A's back court. Slapping the ball away sure sounds like defense to me. Even if B doesn't obtain possession, team A now has less time to avoid a 10-second violation. Blow the whistle, voice the defensive violation, and assess the penalty. If you don't yet have a penalty for this, you can consider to use what we use in my province: Team A gets a front court throw-in at the foul line extended.

If you don't allow back court defense, it sounds to me that A basically gets a free pass to get the ball to their front court (save a traveling or 10-second violation, etc). Even if there is still no in-bounds possession by A, B still cannot intervene. So call the violation.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm guessing that the illegal defense occurs when playing defense in A's back court. Slapping the ball away sure sounds like defense to me. Even if B doesn't obtain possession, team A now has less time to avoid a 10-second violation. Blow the whistle, voice the defensive violation, and assess the penalty. If you don't yet have a penalty for this, you can consider to use what we use in my province: Team A gets a front court throw-in at the foul line extended.

If you don't allow back court defense, it sounds to me that A basically gets a free pass to get the ball to their front court (save a traveling or 10-second violation, etc). Even if there is still no in-bounds possession by A, B still cannot intervene. So call the violation.
The play in question happened at under 2 minutes -- in the OP it was communicated that this was legal at that time and it was, in fact, an IW.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Personally, for 4-6th graders, I'd use NFHS rules. But in the end, the differences are mostly insignificant. NFHS rules on technical fouls are, IMO, much simpler.
I agree. Likely very few people in the US know FIBA rules, so you're better off to stay with rules the kids will play until the end of HS.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. dfscott,

Are you using/running an Upward Basketball league?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The play in question happened at under 2 minutes -- in the OP it was communicated that this was legal at that time and it was, in fact, an IW.
Agreed, the timing of the whistle is what matters on an IW, not the timing of the phantom infraction you almost called.