The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Bonehead call

I guess I had a brain fart. Team A had the ball and team B's coach called a timeout. My partner thinks thought this should be a technical but I can't find it in the rule book. Lil help?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarron View Post
I guess I had a brain fart. Team A had the ball and team B's coach called a timeout. My partner thinks thought this should be a technical but I can't find it in the rule book. Lil help?
And where does he get the idea that it should be a technical foul?
Case play 5.8.3E, swallow your pride and grant the timeout. We've all done it.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

this was a discussion I started earlier.

Once you grant a time out, even erroneously, it cannot be taken back. Charge the coach with a time out and start the time out period.

After time out, start the ball out-of-bounds closest to the spot of the ball when play was dead, and give the ball back to the team who had possession.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Did you grant it or ignore it?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Do not beat yourself up; we have all probably done something like this at one time or another.

Heck last night one of my partners (and a good friend) blew his whistle to stop play after a FT to bring in a sub. Then he yelled "SUUUUUBBB!!!" and no one was at the table. My other partner (another good friend of his and mine) started laughing at him big time without losing it all together. Because everyone was looking around trying to figure out who was at the table. And we clowned on him the entire way back from the game about what he did.

To his credit this was a doubleheader and this happen during the JV game. One of the kids started to go off the bench and go up some stairs to go with the varsity team. He saw this and assumed this player was going in the game. But when he blew the whistle, the kid was long gone (up the stair and out the gym). And this is a very experienced official and we had a very good laugh about the situation. You have to be able to laugh at yourself and have fun sometimes.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
this was a discussion I started earlier.

Once you grant a time out, even erroneously, it cannot be taken back. Charge the coach with a time out and start the time out period.

After time out, start the ball out-of-bounds closest to the spot of the ball when play was dead, and give the ball back to the team who had possession.
You could make this into an accidental whistle if you know you were wrong immediately. But by rule if you grant the timeout incorrectly, you have to live with it.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's an epidemic!
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You could make this into an accidental whistle if you know you were wrong immediately. But by rule if you grant the timeout incorrectly, you have to live with it.

Peace
And once you've blown the whistle, even though it's an IW, the ball is dead and either team may request and be granted a time out. So once you've blown the whistle, you're stuck with it.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

And if you don't charge B with the timeout, you've potentially given them an advantage without having to pay the proper price.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 07:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
It could be a T, if B was already out of timeouts.......
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
It could be a T, if B was already out of timeouts.......
Ah, but that would not be "this" (from the OP).
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Sort of happened to me last night.

Visitor's coach is yelling "5-out, 5-out" but I hear "Time Out." It was his last time out with about 1:30 to go in game. They are up by 10 points.

He gives me a strange look and I said "Coach that's your last time out." Scorer says, "Coach said 5 out." Nevertheless he got a time out. Next time down the court he yells "6 out." I'm not confused this time!

Lesson learned (I hope)... Coach needs to use better commands and I need to look at the coach before I call the TO.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post

Visitor's coach is yelling "5-out, 5-out" but I hear "Time Out." It was his last time out with about 1:30 to go in game. They are up by 10 points.

He gives me a strange look and I said "Coach that's your last time out." Scorer says, "Coach said 5 out." Nevertheless he got a time out. Next time down the court he yells "6 out." I'm not confused this time!

Lesson learned (I hope)... Coach needs to use better commands and I need to look at the coach before I call the TO.
I have been fooled by the "5 Out" play as well. But in this case, if you really just misheard the coach and he never actually did request a timeout, and he doesn't want one, you can just play on at POI. Don't charge the guy for a timeout because you can't hear.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post

I've had that happen before. You should not charge him with a time out because of your error (unless he requests one during the dead ball time). Own up to it and be honest about it. ESPECIALLY since your scorer confirmed that he was not requesting a time out...
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuc View Post
I've had that happen before. You should not charge him with a time out because of your error (unless he requests one during the dead ball time). Own up to it and be honest about it. ESPECIALLY since your scorer confirmed that he was not requesting a time out...
I actaully think I would of done this. But he did not say a thing to me; he just took the time out. The way it was going with this guy, (first game was an A game and I gave him a T) I was surprised he didn't complain. But his B team was winning and it was almost over.