The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Okay guys, I'm not sure how I ended working with this guy...but here goes.

R1 leading off...batter takes the pitch...catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher. Partner calls "balk". He then informs the coach that his pitcher "received the ball within 5 feet of the rubber" which according to FED rules (technically) is a balk. I believe the books says that the "pitcher can not be within 5 feet of the rubber without the ball."

With that interpretation, that opens a whole can of worms! Pitcher throws the pitch...its a balk, cause the pitcher no longer has the ball.

How technical is this going to get?????
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump

R1 leading off...batter takes the pitch...catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher. Partner calls "balk". He then informs the coach that his pitcher "received the ball within 5 feet of the rubber" which according to FED rules (technically) is a balk. I believe the books says that the "pitcher can not be within 5 feet of the rubber without the ball."

With that interpretation, that opens a whole can of worms! Pitcher throws the pitch...its a balk, cause the pitcher no longer has the ball.

Bad interpretation of a rule designed to protect runners from hidden ball trick.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]Bad interpretation of a rule designed to protect runners from hidden ball trick. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, but a rule is a rule! What can I do to prevent this from happening on the field? It isn't the time or place to get into a rules interpretation discussion in the middle of a game!
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bad interpretation of a rule designed to protect runners from hidden ball trick. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, but a rule is a rule! What can I do to prevent this from happening on the field? It isn't the time or place to get into a rules interpretation discussion in the middle of a game! [/B][/QUOTE]

That's not technical - that's simply incorrect in interpreting the rule.

The rule is 6-5 and its talking about the pitcher while he is not touching the plate making movement that simulates a pitch. It also states that he positions himself within approximately five feet - that's a big loop hole.

But the key word is positions himself.

This rule is to prevent a hidden ball trick. An umpire who calls this is simply horribly wrong.

What about a pick off move. F1 throws to first. Balk - F1 is within five feet without the ball.

If this were called I assume of course that the head coach and several assistants were also ejected?

Thanks
David
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:04am
Do not give a damn!!

This is what I talk about being a "rulebook official." This umpire read something out of the rulebook and applied the rule regardless of the intent of the rule or does not use any common sense as to how the rule should be applied.

The term has nothing to do with umpires/officials knowing the rules. This guy is a classic "rulebook official."

Peace
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How technical can this get? Opens up a can of worms?

I dont understand how somebody in their right mind can even consider this being correct. Have you ever umpired before?? Youre not very bright if you say "a rule is a rule."
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:27pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The term has nothing to do with umpires/officials knowing the rules. This guy is a classic "rulebook official."
Rut,
I'm guessing classic "Newbee Ump". Knowing the words, but not yet the meanings.
mick
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

No. I'm sorry. This is not a rules discussion. This is b@llsh!^, plain and simple. This is proof that the saying "there is no such thing as a stupid question" is a myth.

There is absolutely no use in engaging in a serious discussion over this. This would be akin to talking to a rock. Sometimes there are some people who are just a waste of space on a baseball field. Remove them. Don't bother telling them why, just make sure they don't get out there again, ever.

Unf@#%ingbelievable!
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
That is one as the plate umpire and UIC you need to seriously fix. Tell the field ump that you will talk about it after the game. I am not for over ruling my partner but on something that is a serious gross misinterpetation of the rules, that needs to be fixed. Some would say that takes away credability of your partner. BS!! It was gone as soon as he called that. Fix it. Some people I'm sure will take issue with me for saying this but you cannot let that go.

We have a guy around this area that reads the rule of all line must be drawn of noncaustic..... as all lines must be drawn. He gets so literal that he has been known to draw coaches boxes, running lanes and on deck cricles himself. He has even raked the pitchers mound in the middle of a game. Funny thing is, he has never once checked helmets and bats before a game.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
That is one as the plate umpire and UIC you need to seriously fix. Tell the field ump that you will talk about it after the game. I am not for over ruling my partner but on something that is a serious gross misinterpetation of the rules, that needs to be fixed. Some would say that takes away credability of your partner. BS!! It was gone as soon as he called that. Fix it. Some people I'm sure will take issue with me for saying this but you cannot let that go.
blueump gives no indication as to whether he is BU or PU in his post. Regardless, if I am PU or BU and my partner calls something that is grossly in error to the rules, then we need to have a conversation and I need to sell him on the correct interpretation and leave it to him to make the correction. If he decides not to then I support him, and make a mental note.

I had one last year when my PU called R1 out for batter interference. We got it right after a brief discussion.