The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Gray Shirts

Just curious...Does anyone use the gray shirts with the black pin stripes in regular season or post season high school games (or any league, for that matter)?? We don't use them at all in Georgia, except for state tournament games in the Independent School league.
I like the shirts, and would like to see see them used more. Just a thought.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:33pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Just curious...Does anyone use the gray shirts with the black pin stripes in regular season or post season high school games (or any league, for that matter)?? We don't use them at all in Georgia, except for state tournament games in the Independent School league.
I like the shirts, and would like to see see them used more. Just a thought.
Standard issue here in our little corner of the country.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

NCHSAA requires them all season long.

I hate'em.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Texas uses them -- not exclusively and mostly for varsity competition -- in many, if not most, areas of the state. I'm pretty sure the state tournament shirts are now gray.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
NCHSAA requires them all season long.

I hate'em.
Curious as to why you hate them...Is it because you are a purist (That is NOT a bad thing!!)
When I want a cup of coffee at Starbucks, I just want a cup of coffee....not Amaretto, not Hazelnut, just plain 'ole coffee! So, is it because you like the tradition?? Or do you just think they are ugly??
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:06am
Archaic Power Monger

One chapter I belong to requires them for all games and another for varsity games only. I like 'em.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 07:59am
Official & Member

In Florida, it's left up to the local assn. We switched to grays 6 years ago, but I can't give you a reason why. I don't like them. I've contended all along that zebra stripes provide more of a contrast to the players, crowd and bench areas. That contrast makes it easier to pick up your partners out of the corner of your eye and across the floor.

I have a feeling that is actually the reason why some officals like them. They don't want to "stand out" any more than necessary (or so I've been told). I've always felt that was a cop out. We're supposed to stand out...that's why we have uni's in the first place.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Feb 26, 2011 at 08:11am.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

We wear them exclusively here in Maine. I prefer the stripes wich we wear in college. I don't have any trouble picking up my partner with grey. But I am a traditionalist. Also the gray shows the persperation in the armpits much worse than black & white, which I don't like. Also we have IAABO patches on grey shirts and Honigs has a lock on them. So if you don't like their shirts, which I don't, tough luck. They did offer a sew-on patch at our association meeting this Jan. for the first time in years. But I like the embroidered patch much better.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:47am
Administrator

I like them and wish that the OhioHSAA and the MichiganHSAA would at least allow the crew to choose to which shirt to wear; right now both states mandat the black and white stripes. Whenever Daryl H. "The Preacher"Long and MTD, Jr., officiate Special Olympics together we wear gray.

Besides, i think they make me look svelte, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In Florida, it's left up to the local assn. We switched to grays 6 years ago, but I can't give you a reason why. I don't like them. I've contended all along that zebra stripes provide more of a contrast to the players, crowd and bench areas. That contrast makes it easier to pick up your partners out of the corner of your eye and across the floor.

I have a feeling that is actually the reason why some officals like them. They don't want to "stand out" any more than necessary (or so I've been told). I've always felt that was a cop out. We're supposed to stand out...that's why we have uni's in the first place.
I agree the stripes give more contrast. I work intramurals when I have time, and we have to wear black shirts, unless one of the teams is in black. We do three man later in the season, and I have noticed that rookies are more likely to notice a rotation if we are in stripes instead of the black shirts. I am also a traditionalist and would like to wear stripes for all of the games. Kansas currently doesn't allow the black side-panel shirt, much less a gray shirt, or the black pants in football for high school contests.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

We were approved to wear grey & the wide panel for regular season games this year. Post season is standard ONLY :'(
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

It's funny how there has been so little change in basketball officials uniforms over the years, at least at the amateur level. I also work baseball and the changes there are continual, almost to a fault. I currently have four different colors of shirts; it's went from heather grey to dark grey pants; there are different colors and styles of jackets. Look at what umpires wore 30 years ago and you wouldn't see any resemblence to what is worn today. I'm not opposed to change.

We wear only the traditional black and white stripes in Iowa. Given a choice, I would wear the grey striped shirts. I'm sure a lot of other guys would prefer to stick with the zebra stripes.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I prefer the black and whites. I don't care for the grey with pinstirpes. I don't want to look like a wrestling official. No offense to MO wrestling officials intended. I could go for the FIBA style though.

Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:02pm
Administrator

Improvement to gray shirts.

I thought of one small way to improve the looks of the gray shirt: Change the color of the pin stripes from black to scarlet, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I prefer the black and whites. I don't care for the grey with pinstirpes. I don't want to look like a wrestling official. No offense to MO wrestling officials intended. I could go for the FIBA style though.

I would definitely not mind wearing that kind of shirt.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.