Thread: Gray Shirts
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In Florida, it's left up to the local assn. We switched to grays 6 years ago, but I can't give you a reason why. I don't like them. I've contended all along that zebra stripes provide more of a contrast to the players, crowd and bench areas. That contrast makes it easier to pick up your partners out of the corner of your eye and across the floor.

I have a feeling that is actually the reason why some officals like them. They don't want to "stand out" any more than necessary (or so I've been told). I've always felt that was a cop out. We're supposed to stand out...that's why we have uni's in the first place.
I agree the stripes give more contrast. I work intramurals when I have time, and we have to wear black shirts, unless one of the teams is in black. We do three man later in the season, and I have noticed that rookies are more likely to notice a rotation if we are in stripes instead of the black shirts. I am also a traditionalist and would like to wear stripes for all of the games. Kansas currently doesn't allow the black side-panel shirt, much less a gray shirt, or the black pants in football for high school contests.