Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 08:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
That is what I was thinking, too. Bigtimed by Sylvester McBean.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Maybe so. I haven't had to buy any black and whites in years; I still have the ones that I first started with eight yrs ago. I simply know the grays I have now are more comfortable than my black ones.
That is equivalent to saying that Fords are not as good as Chevy's because your last Ford was a Pinto and your recently purchased Chevy is a Volt.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 28, 2011 at 11:14am.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Here you go, Gap, is this what you had in mind?

Smitty 206 Elite Grey Pinstripe w/Side Panels
One shirt where the side panels actually look good....
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I like the look and it has nothing to do with "big timing", I just like the look of the side panels.

My basketball shirts are the Ultimate Referee shirts by Ump-Attire. I also wear a performance fabric undershirt underneath. I haven't ever noticed visible sweat marks on my grey shirts and I sweat quite a bit. I'll take a look next time to see if I've just been as blind as the fans think I am.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I like the look and it has nothing to do with "big timing", I just like the look of the side panels.
Around here, since we're not supposed to wear the panels for HS games, many would take you to be "big timing," no matter what you said to the contrary.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:47am
Archaic Power Monger

If they are not allowed, then that I can understand. Here they are optional and I've had quite a few partners that wear them. This is becoming a bit of a moot point since we seem to be phasing out the stripes completely.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Around here, since we're not supposed to wear the panels for HS games, many would take you to be "big timing," no matter what you said to the contrary.
I will never understand why anyone would see this as big timing. For one if the shirt is an option, then would that not be any different than any other type of clothing that has an option?

We cannot wear the shirt for HS games, usually when I see someone wearing this shirt it is out or ignorance more than anything. Considering I know most college officials that I will work with and have some idea of what they work, I would not consider this big timing. Who are they trying to big time? If anything this tells me they are too cheap to buy a different shirt (and we have patches).

Peace
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
+1

All it needs are a few logos and flag patches
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will never understand why anyone would see this as big timing. For one if the shirt is an option, then would that not be any different than any other type of clothing that has an option?

We cannot wear the shirt for HS games, usually when I see someone wearing this shirt it is out or ignorance more than anything. Considering I know most college officials that I will work with and have some idea of what they work, I would not consider this big timing. Who are they trying to big time? If anything this tells me they are too cheap to buy a different shirt (and we have patches).

Peace
I see your point, that said we have a guy up here who wears his just to let us know he does college. We have over/under bets on how many times he mentions "college" in pregame "In my college game, we like to..."

ZZZZZ
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I see your point, that said we have a guy up here who wears his just to let us know he does college. We have over/under bets on how many times he mentions "college" in pregame "In my college game, we like to..."

ZZZZZ
Interesting never had that situation.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace

Unless the shirt is normally worn in any area, would you see any of those same people wearing a byron collar? The answer to that says all you need to know about why they are wearing it instead of the standard shirt.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Here in VA you can only wear side-panels if the entire crew wears them.

I had a partner who only brought his side-panel shirt to a game because he assumed that's what I'd be wearing b/c I do some college ball but I don't even pack a side-panel when I work HS ball.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 12:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The other thing I have seen occur with some of these guys is the use of college mechanics even though they are instructed to use HS mechanics. Often, the big timing is the whole package...shirt, pre-game with college references, talk of the games they just did or will do at the college level, an NCAA logo on their travel bag [understood as those are not as inexpensive as a shirt--which should be covered by a big time game fee], the mechanics used [particularly on time out signals and when inbounding], etc.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
We have over/under bets on how many times he mentions "college" in pregame "In my college game, we like to ...
Had a guy like that on our local board. Hated working with him. Thanks God he picked up and moved south.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Unless the shirt is normally worn in any area, would you see any of those same people wearing a byron collar? The answer to that says all you need to know about why they are wearing it instead of the standard shirt.
Usually a guy wearing a Byron collar is too lazy or cheap to buy new equipment. Usually means they are officiating off of rules that have changed years ago too. Then again I have not seen one of these shirts in probably 8 or 9 years and before that was my first year when people still wore them and still in the NF book.