The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timing Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62837-timing-question.html)

NJOfficial Sat Feb 19, 2011 07:45am

Timing Question

Longtime reader, first-time poster here. I'm a football official and basketball timekeeper - not a basketball rules expert - so my question will probably be pretty basic for you guys.

Opening tip-off. Ball is tapped by the visiting team's jumper, hits the floor, and bounces out of bounds untouched by any other player. Should the clock have started at any point or should it still read 8:00 when the ball goes out of bounds and is subsequently inbounded?

I'd appreciate a rule reference, since I tried to look this up in the rulebook and couldn't really find an easy answer. Thanks for your help!

bob jenkins Sat Feb 19, 2011 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJOfficial (Post 731876)
Longtime reader, first-time poster here. I'm a football official and basketball timekeeper - not a basketball rules expert - so my question will probably be pretty basic for you guys.

Opening tip-off. Ball is tapped by the visiting team's jumper, hits the floor, and bounces out of bounds untouched by any other player. Should the clock have started at any point or should it still read 8:00 when the ball goes out of bounds and is subsequently inbounded?

I'd appreciate a rule reference, since I tried to look this up in the rulebook and couldn't really find an easy answer. Thanks for your help!

Clock starts when the tossed ball is touched by a jumper. 5-9-2 (last year's reference, but I don't think it's changed)

NJOfficial Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:02am

Thanks, Bob. Looks like I messed this up, since I didn't start the clock, but I wasn't sure since the officials didn't make any effort to correct the clock before the ball was inbounded.

JugglingReferee Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:07am

When a U, about once a season I end up having to whistle a jump ball dead that is tilted to one side. When I do this, my arm is still straight up. But every timer starts the clock. I have to reset it to 8:00 and I always tell them, "please don't start the clock until you see a referee's arm chop in time". I've been in a number of close VB games this season, and I've probably had to correct timing errors about a dozen times this season; both stopping too late and starting too early.

Freddy Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08am

Good Question

Yes! Yet another candidate for a special forum dedicated exclusively to "table officials"!

JugglingReferee Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 731907)
Yes! Yet another candidate for a special forum dedicated exclusively to "table officials"!

Well, they are part of the officiating crew! :)

BillyMac Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:20pm

Inquiring Minds Want to Know ???

Quote:

Longtime reader, first-time poster here.

Stupid question. I've always been curious. Why do first time posters have a post count of two?

BillyMac Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:22pm

Reminder ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 731906)
When a U, about once a season I end up having to whistle a jump ball dead that is tilted to one side. I have to reset it to 8:00.

Same thing for a jumper who taps the ball on the way up. Saw it in a state tournament game last season. Umpire did a nice job resetting the clock.

eyezen Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 731947)
Stupid question. I've always been curious. Why do first time posters have a post count of two?

The first post (thread post #1) in this thread is user post #1. Then he replied (thread post #3) which is user post #2. That updates the user post count that you see displayed.

BillyMac Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35pm

Updated Count ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 731950)
The first post (thread post #1) in this thread is user post #1. Then he replied (thread post #3) which is user post #2. That updates the user post count that you see displayed.

Thanks. Ask a stupid question, get a rational answer. What a great world it is that we live in.

DTQ_Blue Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:08pm

NJ, do you work the scoreboard also or just the clock? I'd suggest getting a hold of a rulebook if you can. The other important subject to know is the possession arrow. Several different rules address the arrow that may not be intuitive such as if the inbounding team on an alternating throw in fouls, they lose the throw in, but not the arrow.

DTQ_Blue Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:32pm

I should have said fouls "during the throw in" so that's another point to know, when does a throw in end, because if the foul is after the throw in ends, the arrow does go to the other team.

eyezen Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue (Post 731987)
NJ, do you work the scoreboard also or just the clock? I'd suggest getting a hold of a rulebook if you can. The other important subject to know is the possession arrow. Several different rules address the arrow that may not be intuitive such as if the inbounding team on an alternating throw in fouls, they lose the throw in, but not the arrow.

Actually - if either team fouls 6.4.5

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 19, 2011 08:10pm

Quote:

The other official, the one with his back to you near the table, will have his hand held high. When he brings the hand down, you start the clock. That should happen all throughout the game on throw-ins, after missed free throws, for any OT jump balls, etc. The official will chop in the time so you do not have to guess when to flip the switch.

NJOfficial Sat Feb 19, 2011 08:14pm

Thanks, guys. I'll take another look through both the timing rules and the possession arrow (as well as keep an eye on this board). I do the clock, scoreboard, and PA announcing for the school I teach at (and graduated from), and I'm interested in making sure I know what I need to know to do the job right.

My school lost a heartbreaker in the conference tournament today so it hasn't been such a great day...