The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Scorebook

After the game has started, home book tells the official (me) that there are two number 22s in the book for the visiting team. Visitors book looks the same. I ask to see the line up that the visiting coach submitted. The line up correctly states the team numbers 22 and 23. The visiting book says that she miscopied the lineup and mistakenly put two number 22s in the book. In other words the coach's line up was correct and the visiting book miscopied it. The home book carried the error through when it copied the visiting book. I did not assess a tech because the coach's line up that she submitted was correct. Was I correct in not assessing the tech?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm...this is actually a pretty good question. If you consider the visiting book being given to the official scorekeeper to copy the actual submission of the lineup, this is a technical foul. But, if the coach gave the lineup to the table, and the official book used the visiting book out of convenience, then no.

If all this copying took place at the table, I'm inclined to say the coach submitted his lineup correctly. If he gave it to his score keeper on the bus and instructed her to give it to the official scorekeeper, I'm inclined to say it was done incorrectly.

Personally, I'm fine with the way you handled it.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbyb View Post
Was I correct in not assessing the tech?
Yep, you were correct. All the rule states is that the team must present the roster and starters to the table before the 10-minute mark. As long as that was done, there is no penalty for an error in copying the book(s).

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

You were correct. 10-1-2c states that "A team shall not require the scorer to change a team member’s or player’s number in the scorebook."

The scorer made the error, so the team did not require the scorer to make the change. Well handled.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Always a good idea to count players & check for duplicate & illegal numbers in the book. Those are situations in which we can control.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbyb View Post
After the game has started, home book tells the official (me) that there are two number 22s in the book for the visiting team. Visitors book looks the same. I ask to see the line up that the visiting coach submitted. The line up correctly states the team numbers 22 and 23. The visiting book says that she miscopied the lineup and mistakenly put two number 22s in the book. In other words the coach's line up was correct and the visiting book miscopied it. The home book carried the error through when it copied the visiting book. I did not assess a tech because the coach's line up that she submitted was correct. Was I correct in not assessing the tech?
Yes, you were. The coach fulfilled his/her obligation.

The table crew is part of the officiating crew. You don't penalize a team because a scorer made a mistake.

Did the referee not check the book prior to the game? I guess not or he would have caught this.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes, you were. The coach fulfilled his/her obligation.

The table crew is part of the officiating crew. You don't penalize a team because a scorer made a mistake.

Did the referee not check the book prior to the game? I guess not or he would have caught this.
Sounds familar
I think chseagle was my timer tonight
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm fine with the way you handled it. Next time make sure the R checks the book correctly before the game and you can stay out of this situation.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That was going to be my question - this should have been caught by the R and been a non issue during the game
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Keeping the book last night for a D-III doubleheader: women’s game, followed by the men’s game. I was keeping the official book. Had more mistakes than usual: failing to keep the running score correct in each game (was saved by the people keeping the book for the visitors and by our SID), giving a foul to #5 instead of #15 (must not have caught the number correctly from the reporting official) and just in general doing a lousy job.

However, this is what I wanted to get thoughts on if anyone has any: before the men’s game the referee comes over to check the numbers in the book. Several minutes later (well under the 10:00 mark) the visiting team’s scorer told me there had been a change in their starting lineup. I was told just as the national anthem was about to start. After the anthem, I informed the referee and we were discussing if the team had actually made a change or if I had made a mistake in marking the starters (I hadn’t in this case). The home team coach came over and asked what the problem was. When he heard what happened, he said to forget it, let’s play. We went with the change and the visitors weren’t charged with a technical, apparently in part because of the home team coach not making an issue of it (that’s just my impression. I don’t know that). Here’s my question: Should I have just kept my mouth shut? Maybe I caused problems by saying something. Was it appropriate to notify the referee of the change? Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
Here’s my question: Should I have just kept my mouth shut? Maybe I caused problems by saying something. Was it appropriate to notify the referee of the change? Thanks in advance.
It's you job to advise the referee of the change. What he does from there is up to him...and his evaluators.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
That was going to be my question - this should have been caught by the R and been a non issue during the game
This is a situation of us taking the book for granted before the game. We need to take the extra 2 minutes to check the book the right way.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
giving a foul to #5 instead of #15 (must not have caught the number correctly from the reporting official)
Let me guess - the officials were reporting fouls like "one-five" and not "fifteen" and you only heard the second number.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Hmmm...this is actually a pretty good question. If you consider the visiting book being given to the official scorekeeper to copy the actual submission of the lineup, this is a technical foul. But, if the coach gave the lineup to the table, and the official book used the visiting book out of convenience, then no.

If all this copying took place at the table, I'm inclined to say the coach submitted his lineup correctly. If he gave it to his score keeper on the bus and instructed her to give it to the official scorekeeper, I'm inclined to say it was done incorrectly.

Personally, I'm fine with the way you handled it.
Agree, you did fine.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well handled! How many areas require the referee to initial the book below each teams last listed player as a method of checking for duplicate #'s and number of players? Just about every varsity official in my area does it. In my varsity games I prep the girls book myself the night before using maxpreps.com to get the other school's roster. The boys book is already prepared by an assistant coach (also using maxpreps.com) so it is already checked for duplicate #'s.In our league everybody has correct information on this site.