The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Well handled! How many areas require the referee to initial the book below each teams last listed player as a method of checking for duplicate #'s and number of players? Just about every varsity official in my area does it. In my varsity games I prep the girls book myself the night before using maxpreps.com to get the other school's roster. The boys book is already prepared by an assistant coach (also using maxpreps.com) so it is already checked for duplicate #'s.In our league everybody has correct information on this site.
Hmmmm What if grades come out the next day & someone not listed on maxpreps is eligible?
I thought you all were supossed to enter what was provided to you.

Had a game early in the season where the table hits the horn & they say #20 is not in the book. Home team is getting smashed & wanted a T. I ask the home bookkeeper to show me what they copied from. Its the roster that fanatics get upon entrance. I ask the visiting team what they provided. They say its the paper sitting on the table. No T, lets correct & move on. Home team is pissed & unfortunately didnt know the rule. Nobody asked them to copy from the roster printed by the home team...
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Let me guess - the officials were reporting fouls like "one-five" and not "fifteen" and you only heard the second number.
I think that's right, but even so everyone else at the table gave it to #15. Last night definitely wasn't one of my better nights at the table.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
...make sure the R checks the book correctly before the game...
What if you're over 50 and can only count the number of lines that have scribble in them? (You young guys will know what I'm talking about in 20 years or so).
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly182310 View Post
what if you're over 50 and can only count the number of lines that have scribble in them? (you young guys will know what i'm talking about in 20 years or so).
+1
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Hmmmm What if grades come out the next day & someone not listed on maxpreps is eligible?
I thought you all were supossed to enter what was provided to you.
That's not something we have to concern ourselves with. There isn't any violation of the rules to have too many names/numbers in the book.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey BillyMac, You Be The "R" Tonight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
What if you're over 50 and can only count the number of lines that have scribble in them?
I've had a few partners over the years who were assigned as the referee but who gave me the referee duties (pregame, observe visitors, toss, etc.) for one reason, and one reason only, they can't see the book without their reading glasses.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Too Many In The Book ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There isn't any violation of the rules to have too many names/numbers in the book.
I agree with you, but there are some who would disagree, and an old IAABO Refresher Exam question that some IAABO members would use as a citation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I agree with you, but there are some who would disagree, and an old IAABO Refresher Exam question that some IAABO members would use as a citation.
It's a good thing IAABO has no jurisdiction in Texas. And if I seem to remember correctly, most here summarily rejected that silly interpretation of the rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense Prevails ...

Quote:
It's a good thing IAABO has no jurisdiction in Texas. And if I seem to remember correctly, most here summarily rejected that silly interpretation of the rule.
I don't know if IAABO ever reversed their "interpretation" of that Refresher Exam answer. In any case, our local IAABO board interpreter has told us to allow more names in the book than there may be warming up on the floor.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not something we have to concern ourselves with. There isn't any violation of the rules to have too many names/numbers in the book.
Read TRef's post again -- he's talking about a player NOT on maxpreps who HTEN beocmes eligible and needs to be added. If the roster is just taken off the site, then it will be missing the name and that could lead to problems.