The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe I'll poll the fans for my next block/charge call to make sure I get it right. It'll take a little bit longer, sure, but hey, "get the call right" should be my goal, right?
How about just blowing whiste and asking nearer coach, "whatcha got?"
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Y'all keep getting feedback from the fans. Be sure to incorporate all of that great feedback from the fans into your training also. And good luck to you. And good luck to any official that you train also. They'll need it.

'Nuff said.
did you know:
- that each official selected to work the NBA playoffs graded out at approx 95% during the regular season? (which means that 15% of the crews' calls are incorrect each game)
- the officials who worked the NCAA Championship game (Duke vs Butler) were 78% accurate during that game?

clearly the BEST officials in America are wrong a surprisingly high percentage of the time...since we're NOT in the NBA or Final Four, we are incorrect a larger percentage of the time....

an official who wants to get better will listen to comments/feedback/criticism, decide if it applies or is valid, and apply it/disregard it....

what is so terrible about that?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

95 + 15 = 100
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Somebody's got FUZZY MATH
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
I know what you're getting at, but fans arent the most reliable source for us improving as officials.
After most of my games, the winning teams fans smiles at you & the losing teams fans roll their eyes at you.

The only time I take what they say to heart is when the losing teams fans/coaches/players say, "good job tonight."
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
95 + 15 = 100
if each official is correct 95% of the time, that's means he's missed 5% of the calls....right?
5% incorrect X 3 officials = 15%.....

is this the same level-headed, clear-thinking judgement that you demonstrate on the floor?

i can now see why you quickly dismiss feedback/comments from others....BECAUSE IT MUST HAPPEN ALL THE TIME!!!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
95 + 15 = 100

Quote:
did you know:
- that each official selected to work the NBA playoffs graded out at approx 95% during the regular season? (which means that 15% of the crews' calls are incorrect each game)
3 NBA playoff officials rated at 95% accuracy = 15% ICCs
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe I'll poll the fans for my next block/charge call to make sure I get it right. It'll take a little bit longer, sure, but hey, "get the call right" should be my goal, right?
you simply don't get it, do you?

best of luck....
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I know what you're getting at, but fans arent the most reliable source for us improving as officials.
After most of my games, the winning teams fans smiles at you & the losing teams fans roll their eyes at you.

The only time I take what they say to heart is when the losing teams fans/coaches/players say, "good job tonight."
EXACTLY! you listen to the comments/feedback/criticism....decide if it's valid...and then apply it or disregard it.....

imho, it is not smart to simply dismiss immediately because of where it came from. it's the ONLY WAY to get better....

keep in mind, if you only do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
an official who wants to get better will listen to comments/feedback/criticism, decide if it applies or is valid, and apply it/disregard it....

There's absolutely nothing the matter with that UNLESS the comments/feedback/criticism comes from freaking fans. That's just plain ridiculous.

If you really think the average fan is knowledgeable and competent enough to offer constructive criticism to officials, well, good luck to you too. I sincerely hope that you and the oracle follow their great feedback. You both deserve it.

Maybe you both can have a poll when you blow your whistle.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
you simply don't get it, do you?

best of luck....
I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion on this, but let's just say I'm far more concerned with the opinion of the actual officials in the stands than with the fans.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Everyone knows that no official has ever asked for/offered up help on an out of bounds call because one team's mass of fans who've been silent all night go ballistic.

But don't ever listen to 'em
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:38am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Feedback can be accepted or discarded, but when you disagree with 95% of the feedback, you most likely have an issue--it all areas of life, not just officiating.
+1

To give a blanket statement that coaches have nothing to offer goes way too far.

Anytime you get feedback, you have to consider the source. Mind you, consider does not mean disregard. It means to consider their accuracy and motivation.

Certainly, we hear a lot of crud based on ignorance and/or selfish motivation from coaches. That doesn't mean that all of it is worthless. You just have to use your best judgment and consider what they're saying.

That goes for fellow officials, too. I received some good feedback from my partners their year, and I heed their words. I also received some crap from other officials too (like the guy who followed me into the locker room to firmly state I don't call a foul with :01 left in a 20-point game), and I can dismiss those words.

Either way, it's considering.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if each official is correct 95% of the time, that's means he's missed 5% of the calls....right?

is this the same level-headed, clear-thinking judgement that you demonstrate on the floor?

i can now see why you quickly dismiss feedback/comments from others....BECAUSE IT MUST HAPPEN ALL THE TIME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
3 NBA playoff officials rated at 95% accuracy = 15% ICCs
Wow.

If each official is 95% right, then that's 95+ 95+95 = 285 right out of 100+100+100 = 300 possible. 285/300 = 95%

And, since someone else on the crew might get the ones they miss, then the crew average is likley higher.

By your math, we could have 20 officials and miss 100% of the calls.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

You're really not helping yourself here.

You're just flat wrong. If each official grades out at 95%, then their combined total will still be 95%. Not 85%.

Let's assume each official makes 40 calls per game that get graded. 95% means he gets 38 of those calls correct.

That means there were 6 incorrect calls per game. That would be 15% of 40, but there were 120 calls made total, not 40. Only 5% were missed.