The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 893
Educatin' da coaches

I am doing a few more middle school games now. ( I have about 10 this year )

I am shocked to hear somethings come out of coaches mouths.

Here's 3.

1- On a throw in - " She walked she walked" ( She was moving her feet OOB before the throw in )

2- On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

3- "That's a Walk!" Player had picked up her pivot foot and made a pass.

While #3 isn't as bad as the other 2, IMO, I did explain to the coach why it wasn't a walk. He was good with it.

In #1 and #2, I also explained to the coach he was wrong and why, and he told me that I was wrong, they can not run base line after a made basket and a TO. Also, on a spot throw in, they can not move their feet.

I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:48am
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am doing a few more middle school games now. ( I have about 10 this year )

I am shocked to hear somethings come out of coaches mouths.

Here's 3.

1- On a throw in - " She walked she walked" ( She was moving her feet OOB before the throw in )

2- On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

3- "That's a Walk!" Player had picked up her pivot foot and made a pass.

While #3 isn't as bad as the other 2, IMO, I did explain to the coach why it wasn't a walk. He was good with it.

In #1 and #2, I also explained to the coach he was wrong and why, and he told me that I was wrong, they can not run base line after a made basket and a TO. Also, on a spot throw in, they can not move their feet.

I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....
Say no more. Say no more.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 520
I'm shocked

that you are shocked. It is middle school coaches after all that you are talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
I had the same conversation with a varsity coach this year

"For one, coach, you can only travel with a LIVE ball INBOUNDS & the designated spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitation."

"Uhhh so is that 1 & a half feet to the left & right?"
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am doing a few more middle school games now. ( I have about 10 this year )

I am shocked to hear somethings come out of coaches mouths.

Here's 3.

1- On a throw in - " She walked she walked" ( She was moving her feet OOB before the throw in )

2- On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

3- "That's a Walk!" Player had picked up her pivot foot and made a pass.

While #3 isn't as bad as the other 2, IMO, I did explain to the coach why it wasn't a walk. He was good with it.

In #1 and #2, I also explained to the coach he was wrong and why, and he told me that I was wrong, they can not run base line after a made basket and a TO. Also, on a spot throw in, they can not move their feet.

I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....
After the coach goofed on #2, you could further educate the coach with the cases of a common foul and a violation by the scoring team.

That there are THREE cases (ie. more than 1) for retaining the whole end line for a throw-in, is evidence that the rules creators have thought about the issue more than he has.

Seems like he was an official with 1 year of experience for a number of years. Then again, depending on the time line, he might not be aware of changes over the years.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:17pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
After the coach goofed on #2, you could further educate the coach with the cases of a common foul and a violation by the scoring team.

That there are THREE cases (ie. more than 1) for retaining the whole end line for a throw-in, is evidence that the rules creators have thought about the issue more than he has.

Seems like he was an official with 1 year of experience for a number of years. Then again, depending on the time line, he might not be aware of changes over the years.
I'm not aware that any of these items have changed I first learned to play more than 25 years ago.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....
ANd that's why he USED to be an official but NOW is a coach!
__________________
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 01:09pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You forgot - "It's not a baseline, coach. It's an endline."
I wouldn't dream of using that line with a coach.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"
You forgot - "It's not a baseline, coach. It's an endline."
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 03:10pm
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....
Different sport, same issue:

In my first varsity regular season soccer assignment, I got what was expected to be a lopsided game. It was, 12-0 Home. The visiting coach didn't have any assistants on the bench, and claimed to be a long-time member of another board.

After a goal in NFHS soccer, the clock is stopped, and subs can go right into the game without being beckoned (though they still have to check in at the table). This coach insisted I beckon everyone in, and had his players wait until I did so. When I told him the rule, his reply, "I've been on the board 20-something years...yada yada..." My veteran partner told me just beckon them every time. It wasn't worth the effort. (He was probably right.)

Thankfully, this is the kind of stuff you only have to deal with for one half, as I worked the other touchline (sideline) in the second half. Of course, the losing team's fans know even less.

H1 was dribbling the ball literally on the touchline.
V Fan 1: "Come on! That ball's clearly out of bounds!"
(intermittent grumbling, long pause)
V Fan 2: "Wait, doesn't the ball have to be completely over to be out?"
V Fan 3: "Yeah, that's the rule."
V Fan 1: "Shhhh! Well, don't help him!"

Like we need it, guys. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
that you are shocked. It is middle school coaches after all that you are talking about.
Yep.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coaches LLPA13UmpDan Baseball 10 Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:15pm
Coaches out of coaches area tskill Football 3 Mon Oct 03, 2005 07:21am
NCAA assistant coaches vs. HS assistant coaches Indy_Ref Basketball 7 Sun Apr 18, 2004 03:57pm
Asst. coaches; head coaches Putty Basketball 1 Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:22pm
T'd Two Coaches -- And Liked It! rainmaker Basketball 2 Sun Dec 07, 2003 05:54pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1