The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Educatin' da coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62514-educatin-da-coaches.html)

Terrapins Fan Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43am

Educatin' da coaches

I am doing a few more middle school games now. ( I have about 10 this year )

I am shocked to hear somethings come out of coaches mouths.

Here's 3.

1- On a throw in - " She walked she walked" ( She was moving her feet OOB before the throw in )

2- On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

3- "That's a Walk!" Player had picked up her pivot foot and made a pass.

While #3 isn't as bad as the other 2, IMO, I did explain to the coach why it wasn't a walk. He was good with it.

In #1 and #2, I also explained to the coach he was wrong and why, and he told me that I was wrong, they can not run base line after a made basket and a TO. Also, on a spot throw in, they can not move their feet.

I tried....BTW, on #1 and #2 same coach, he used to be an official.....

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 730266)

Here's 3.

1- On a throw in - " She walked she walked" ( She was moving her feet OOB before the throw in )

2- On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

While #3 isn't as bad as the other 2, IMO, I did explain to the coach why it wasn't a walk. He was good with it.

In #1 and #2, I also explained to the coach he was wrong and why, and he told me that I was wrong, they can not run base line after a made basket and a TO. Also, on a spot throw in, they can not move their feet.

Say no more. Say no more.

letemplay Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49am

I'm shocked

that you are shocked. It is middle school coaches after all that you are talking about.

tref Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50am

I had the same conversation with a varsity coach this year :eek:

"For one, coach, you can only travel with a LIVE ball INBOUNDS & the designated spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitation."

"Uhhh so is that 1 & a half feet to the left & right?"

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52am

Quote:

Here's 3.

After the coach goofed on #2, you could further educate the coach with the cases of a common foul and a violation by the scoring team.

That there are THREE cases (ie. more than 1) for retaining the whole end line for a throw-in, is evidence that the rules creators have thought about the issue more than he has.

Seems like he was an official with 1 year of experience for a number of years. :cool: Then again, depending on the time line, he might not be aware of changes over the years.

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 730270)
After the coach goofed on #2, you could further educate the coach with the cases of a common foul and a violation by the scoring team.

That there are THREE cases (ie. more than 1) for retaining the whole end line for a throw-in, is evidence that the rules creators have thought about the issue more than he has.

Seems like he was an official with 1 year of experience for a number of years. :cool: Then again, depending on the time line, he might not be aware of changes over the years.

I'm not aware that any of these items have changed I first learned to play more than 25 years ago.

chartrusepengui Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20pm

Quote:

ANd that's why he USED to be an official but NOW is a coach! :D

APG Tue Feb 15, 2011 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 730312)
You forgot - "It's not a baseline, coach. It's an endline." :rolleyes:

I wouldn't dream of using that line with a coach.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 15, 2011 01:13pm

Quote:

On a throw in after a made basket, after a TO. " She can't run the base line after a Time Out"

You forgot - "It's not a baseline, coach. It's an endline." :rolleyes:

bainsey Tue Feb 15, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Different sport, same issue:

In my first varsity regular season soccer assignment, I got what was expected to be a lopsided game. It was, 12-0 Home. The visiting coach didn't have any assistants on the bench, and claimed to be a long-time member of another board.

After a goal in NFHS soccer, the clock is stopped, and subs can go right into the game without being beckoned (though they still have to check in at the table). This coach insisted I beckon everyone in, and had his players wait until I did so. When I told him the rule, his reply, "I've been on the board 20-something years...yada yada..." My veteran partner told me just beckon them every time. It wasn't worth the effort. (He was probably right.)

Thankfully, this is the kind of stuff you only have to deal with for one half, as I worked the other touchline (sideline) in the second half. Of course, the losing team's fans know even less.

H1 was dribbling the ball literally on the touchline.
V Fan 1: "Come on! That ball's clearly out of bounds!"
(intermittent grumbling, long pause)
V Fan 2: "Wait, doesn't the ball have to be completely over to be out?"
V Fan 3: "Yeah, that's the rule."
V Fan 1: "Shhhh! Well, don't help him!"

Like we need it, guys. Thanks. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Tue Feb 15, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 730268)
that you are shocked. It is middle school coaches after all that you are talking about.

Yep.

Peace