The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

player control or not

Red team takes a three point attempt, ball rebounds and heads oob twords the end line. Red player runs and jumps to save it and throws it way back tword some of his players at the division line. The ball didn't go directly to one of them so they had to chase it into the BC. white coach wants a bc violation. I'm sure it is a HTBT but what kind of action do you need to see to consider that save attempt player control and thus a BC violation? hope that makes sense.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

You have to determine if A1 had control when he saved the ball. The word is JUDGEMENT. And when explaining your call/non-call to the coach you start off by saying "In my judgement...."
Esteemed Participant

Makes perfect sense. Had the same type of play on Monday night. Called the back court violation. I (we) deemed that the player jumping oob had control of the ball when he caught it, twisted in the air, and threw the ball into the bc. If the player just slaps at the ball, there is no control. But if - in your judgment - the player had control, then call the violation.
This IS My Social Life

How's This Sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
. . . jumps to save it and throws it . . .
That's a previous point of contention here.
If you determined that he, in order to "throw it", obtained player control, then he also obtained team control and a violation has occurred in your sitch.
If you determined that no player control was assumed because he merely batted the ball, then no violation occurred.
I think that is what, based on the rules, the consensus arrived at.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I personally didn't feel he had PC. The coach asked me why it wasn't a bc violation and I asked him to tell me where the player control was. he paused and thought for a minute and said oops thats right it was a shot. We as a crew had no problem with it. Our assignor was there and thought he had PC an the save. we agreed that it was a judgement call. just looking for some thoughts from others on what they would need to see to have PC.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I personally didn't feel he had PC. The coach asked me why it wasn't a bc violation and I asked him to tell me where the player control was. he paused and thought for a minute and said oops thats right it was a shot. We as a crew had no problem with it. Our assignor was there and thought he had PC an the save. we agreed that it was a judgement call. just looking for some thoughts from others on what they would need to see to have PC.
Explaining to your assignor will entail more verbiage. Two choices--shut up and color or explain to him why you didn't feel there was PC.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I assert that a player must have player control to "throw" a ball.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 06:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I assert that a player must have player control to "throw" a ball.
Right. Three types of saves, really.
1. Catch and ask for TO.
2. Catch and throw.
3. Bat.

In order to throw, a player must have caught it. If he catches it, even for a brief half-second long enough to throw, then it's PC.

Question for the OP: If the player did the exact same thing as a shot attempt with .2 seconds left and the horn was late, would you have counted the shot?