The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

AP Arrow

In a recent MS game, I was administering a AP throw in from the endline. Team A had possession by the arrow. Team B is pressing. A attempts to inbound and ball goes out of bounds on sideline without being touched by either team. I give B possession at the same spot as A's throw in. My partner is T, table side. After B inbounds the ball, I notice that the arrow stayed with A. As I'm going down court past the table next time down, I motion for them to switch the arrow. They looked at me dumbfounded. At the next break in action, I went to the table and asked them to change the arrow to B. The timer said that my partner told them at the time not to switch the arrow. I ask my partner, who says that the arrow doesn't switch because no one touched the ball inbounds. I said that is a throw in violation on A, and therefore ends the throw in, which means the arrow switches. He was adamant, and was the R for this game, and is more experienced than me; so I didn't press the issue (the game was not close and no one was complaining about the arrow). I still think I was right. I couldn't find a case in the book, but to me 9-2-2 seems to back me up. Opinions?? Also is there any instance where the arrow will not switch, other than fouls prior to the throw in is complete?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

The AP arrow switches when the AP throw-in is legally touched or whenever the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation, which they did here. You were right in insisting the arrow be switched.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:54pm
I miss being on the floor

Your reasoning is correct but your rule reference is off. It's a combination of 6-4-4, 6-4-5, and 4-42-5.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Your reasoning is correct but your rule reference is off. It's a combination of 6-4-4, 6-4-5, and 4-42-5.
I agree with this, I was just using 9-2-2 to justify considering this a violation.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:10pm

Buy your partner a rulebook and give him those four rules...itll be like a scavenger hunt!
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Your ruling was correct, and for the right reason.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bisonpitcher;728819]Opinions?? QUOTE]

In my opinion, you should have asked the "more experienced R"..."how is it that an experienced official who is designated the R for this game, DOES NOT KNOW THE RULE on a simple play like that?"....

i'll leave it up to you whether you ask him on the court or in the locker room...
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
In a recent MS game, I was administering a AP throw in from the endline. Team A had possession by the arrow. Team B is pressing. A attempts to inbound and ball goes out of bounds on sideline without being touched by either team. I give B possession at the same spot as A's throw in. My partner is T, table side. After B inbounds the ball, I notice that the arrow stayed with A. As I'm going down court past the table next time down, I motion for them to switch the arrow. They looked at me dumbfounded. At the next break in action, I went to the table and asked them to change the arrow to B. The timer said that my partner told them at the time not to switch the arrow. I ask my partner, who says that the arrow doesn't switch because no one touched the ball inbounds. I said that is a throw in violation on A, and therefore ends the throw in, which means the arrow switches. He was adamant, and was the R for this game, and is more experienced than me; so I didn't press the issue (the game was not close and no one was complaining about the arrow). I still think I was right. I couldn't find a case in the book, but to me 9-2-2 seems to back me up. Opinions?? Also is there any instance where the arrow will not switch, other than fouls prior to the throw in is complete?

Yes. If the defensive team kicks the AP throw-in pass the ball is given back to the offense at a spot closest to where the kicking violation occured. This new throw-in is a result of the defensive violation so the arrow remains unchanged.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
[/B]

Yes. If the defensive team kicks the AP throw-in pass the ball is given back to the offense at a spot closest to where the kicking violation occured. This new throw-in is a result of the defensive violation so the arrow remains unchanged.
This is a 9 month old post bumped by a spam bot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 04:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That being said, the question he bolded was never answered. Good refresher.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Didn't even see the date of the post. Wasn't in my PCA!
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 04:39pm
Administrator

And this is a play that each and everyone of us will probably have once a year. That means the Spammer did us a favor because it caused us to review this play for the upcoming season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't notice either. Trusted my partners call. Don't forget to check your lint trap.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I didn't notice either. Trusted my partners call. Don't forget to check your lint trap.
Gotta have game awareness!

Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Scratch85;799277]I didn't notice either. Trusted my partners call. Don't forget to check your lint trap.[/QUOTE]

Can't forget the old lint trap, right Scratch? That ranks right up there with checking the scorebooks.