Thread: AP Arrow
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
In a recent MS game, I was administering a AP throw in from the endline. Team A had possession by the arrow. Team B is pressing. A attempts to inbound and ball goes out of bounds on sideline without being touched by either team. I give B possession at the same spot as A's throw in. My partner is T, table side. After B inbounds the ball, I notice that the arrow stayed with A. As I'm going down court past the table next time down, I motion for them to switch the arrow. They looked at me dumbfounded. At the next break in action, I went to the table and asked them to change the arrow to B. The timer said that my partner told them at the time not to switch the arrow. I ask my partner, who says that the arrow doesn't switch because no one touched the ball inbounds. I said that is a throw in violation on A, and therefore ends the throw in, which means the arrow switches. He was adamant, and was the R for this game, and is more experienced than me; so I didn't press the issue (the game was not close and no one was complaining about the arrow). I still think I was right. I couldn't find a case in the book, but to me 9-2-2 seems to back me up. Opinions?? Also is there any instance where the arrow will not switch, other than fouls prior to the throw in is complete?

Yes. If the defensive team kicks the AP throw-in pass the ball is given back to the offense at a spot closest to where the kicking violation occured. This new throw-in is a result of the defensive violation so the arrow remains unchanged.