The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Near Fan Ejection

I have never asked for anyone to be removed from the stands in 11 years.

Last night I did, BUT, the AD had left the building....we were doing a girls varsity game and the home coach would have been the one to do the ejection...so, we warned the spectator instead and he was fine from that point on.

He was sitting near half court, he complained the entire night as all of their fans ( visitors ) had. The straw that broke my back was, as his team is driving past him and in front of me ( I had the perfect look ) B1 reaches in, allow me to say that again B1 REACHES in to knock the ball away, but misses the ball. A1 continues to drive to the basket.

On the "reach in " said spectator SCREAM at the top of his lungs
"THAT'S A REACH IN"

"YOU'VE GOT TO CALL CALL THAT"

"CALL THAT FOUL"

"HOW CAN YOU NOT CALL THAT FOUL"

Every one in the building could hear him. BTW, there was no contact...

As I said, this was the 4th Q about 1 minute in and I had enough.

There was a foul called at the basket by my partner and I found this a good time to go to the AD to have that fan removed.

So, the AD had left....we warned him and not another word out of him. His team lost by about 5 or 6.

Oh, we had another dumb fan, her daughter ( B1) sets a trap on the side line just inside of A1's front court and A1 runs into her and knocks B1 down, looks like a charge unless you've actually read a rule book and understand Legal Guarding Position and saw that B1 had a foot OOB.

Momma continually told her daughter that we had made a bad call and she should do the same thing next time....This from the group of fans who wrote this letter to the newspaper last year -

Where do refs come fron? - Keyser, WV - Mineral Daily News-Tribune
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

Last night I did, BUT, the AD had left the building....we were doing a girls varsity game and the home coach would have been the one to do the ejection...so, we warned the spectator instead and he was fine from that point on.

He was sitting near half court, he complained the entire night as all of their fans ( visitors ) had. The straw that broke my back was, as his team is driving past him and in front of me ( I had the perfect look ) B1 reaches in, allow me to say that again B1 REACHES in to knock the ball away, but misses the ball. A1 continues to drive to the basket.

"THAT'S A REACH IN"

"CALL THAT FOUL"

There was a foul called at the basket by my partner and I found this a good time to go to the AD to have that fan removed.

So, the AD had left....we warned him and not another word out of him. His team lost by about 5 or 6.

Oh, we had another dumb fan, her daughter ( B1) sets a trap on the side line just inside of A1's front court and A1 runs into her and knocks B1 down, looks like a charge unless you've actually read a rule book and understand Legal Guarding Position and saw that B1 had a foot OOB.

Momma continually told her daughter that we had made a bad call and she should do the same thing next time....This from the group of fans who wrote this letter to the newspaper last year -

Amazing how much of an a$$ some people make of themselves. I usually can't hear the fan crap, although my wife can. She doesn't come to the games I reff anymore! Actually, my last boys game I got "booed" by about half the gym on a foul that I called, I definitely heard that!

Last edited by Loudwhistle2; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 06:22pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here in Oregon, we have a special group that can eject a spectator from a game. They're called "the police". We have a state law that says if a sports official directs someone (actually - anyone) to leave the venue and that person does not leave, they are guilty of trespass and the police may be called to take care of the situation.

The law has been in effect for about two years and so far, I've never heard of it being needed, but I carry a copy of the statute in my bag (along with a copy of Oregon's "sports official assault law") just in case.

BTW - whoever wrote that article that was linked in the OP is a moron.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Absent loud and intense profanity, which will probably get him or her removed well before I would ever get involved, I ignore fans unless they interrupt the game in one way or another. I like the idiots yelling their head off and making fools out of themselves. After about the second or third sentence, everyone in the gym says to themselves, "OK, you made your point, now STFU." I've had coaches that practically chewed on me the entire game actually apologize for their fans. One visiting coach asked me one night, "hey, you'd never put up with that from me, why are you letting him do it." I just told him its the job of the game admin for them, but for you, I'm responsible. I liked the fact that he knew he had to behave with me there.

In my experience, fans take care of themselves. Players rarely feed off of them. If they are breaking your concentration, you need to work on that.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

"THAT'S A REACH IN"

"CALL THAT FOUL"

This guy gets at least warning from me through the AD, and he certainly has contravened the Fair Play policy that I am proud to work under.

These parents crack me up. I'd love to have to make that call again.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

11 years, I ignore fans also, but there is a line, all these fans wanted to do was berate us officials, there was no encouraging their players, no matter what call we made, they were all over us.

Even the coach complained constantly. He would say, " why is it a foul at our end of the floor but not at that end?"

The foul count at the end of the game was 18-15 and he was fouling at the end to get back in the game.

Unfortunately, he gets to rate our performance.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Why in the hell is the AD/game manager leaving the game before it's over? Who's letting you in the locker room? Wow.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why in the hell is the AD/game manager leaving the game before it's over? Who's letting you in the locker room? Wow.
Exactly what we were thing, why did he leave? No idea.

We get a key when we come in and leave it in the room when we leave.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"THAT'S A REACH IN"

"CALL THAT FOUL"

Whats the difference from the other spectators?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Tonight I was at the school where they call me Chuck Norris. Visitors came from 13 down and took a 1 point lead inside of 2 minutes. During this time I called a blocking foul which was home teams biggest/best player's 5th, and 2 charging fouls against home team, second of which was the shooting guard's 5th. Visitors ball under home basket with 13 seconds left, leading by 1. They broke a guy long, and threw the touchdown pass over the top.............but it hit the ceiling. Home got it back, shot missed, got a second shot, then a 3rd, which was the winner with 2 seconds left. On my way out, who should I see but the main guy who gave me the nickname. "Great game, Chuck! Only one bad call." I asked him which one, and he said the second charging foul. I thought it was one of my easiest calls of the night. "He was moving! He can't move!" I explained briefly about LGP, and how the defender was indeed allowed to move after establishing it. He was unconvinced. "But he was moving backward!"

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 11:52pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tonight I was at the school where they call me Chuck Norris. Visitors came from 13 down and took a 1 point lead inside of 2 minutes. During this time I called a blocking foul which was home teams biggest/best player's 5th, and 2 charging fouls against home team, second of which was the shooting guard's 5th. Visitors ball under home basket with 13 seconds left, leading by 1. They broke a guy long, and threw the touchdown pass over the top.............but it hit the ceiling. Home got it back, shot missed, got a second shot, then a 3rd, which was the winner with 2 seconds left. On my way out, who should I see but the main guy who game me the nickname. "Great game, Chuck! Only one bad call." I asked him which one, and he said the second charging foul. I thought it was one of my easiest calls of the night. "He was moving! He can't move!" I explained briefly about LGP, and how the defender was indeed allowed to move after establishing it. He was unconvinced. "But he was moving backward!"

The principal gave you a nickname?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

During our pre-season state rules clinic, the deputy commissioner said 4 words. "Get rid of them!" If they're making a spectacle of themselves, if they're interjecting themselves into the game, if they're on the front row or in an almost empty gym screaming to the top of their lungs, "Get rid of them!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"THAT'S A REACH IN"

"CALL THAT FOUL"

What did this guy do to get ejected or possibley ejected...he is just being a fan...ignore him.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Even the coach complained constantly. He would say, " why is it a foul at our end of the floor but not at that end?"
I won't let any coach complain constantly. Ever! And I sureashell won't put up with a direct attack on my integrity like that comment either. Ever!

But that's just me.

Don't you think that maybe....just maybe..... that coach might have been a bigger problem for you than the fan?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The principal gave you a nickname?
Yup....."Boy".

"Here, Boy."

"Good Boy."

"Roll over, Boy."