The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Reporting the shooter

I report a foul last night, the PA guy goes, “fouls on #32.”
As the table hits the horn, I notice white 32 is at the FT line, so I flash a 22 from the C
PA guys goes, “THIS TIME… the fouls on #22.”

We grab our jackets at the half & I apologize to the bookkeeper for my mistake. PA guy is smiling, I tell him that I do a pretty decent job of embarrassing myself & didn’t need his assistance. He knew exactly what I meant as his smile was turned upside down.

Besides not screwing up to begin with, how would you handle this situation?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would have either ignored it (I earned it) or just what you did. I would have said it with a smile, though.

Unless his tone was more sarcastic, then there's no way I'd ignore.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:23pm
We don't rent pigs

I've had 2 different PA guys this year that would actually call the number before it was reported. Neither ever got one wrong, so I guess you could say they restricted themselves to the obvious, but I see this as a potential problem.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I've had 2 different PA guys this year that would actually call the number before it was reported. Neither ever got one wrong, so I guess you could say they restricted themselves to the obvious, but I see this as a potential problem.
I'd tell the PA to wait until the foul is reported.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

His tone was very sarcastic, "THIS TIME... the fouls on #22."

I did bring it on myself though and I havent done THAT in at least 2 seasons. But still, you dont get a free shot at me because of my error... well, unless its the coach/players/fans of course I dont expect that from my table crew though! Live & learn.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I probably would have done what you did, then.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:59pm
Back from the DL

I did PA years ago, before I got into officiating. The guy behind the mike made a bad choice of words, which is unprofessional. It sounds like you handled it just fine, tref.

The better wording, IMO, would be, "Correction...foul on #22..." It's accurate, and doesn't show up anyone.

I volunteer officiated an alumni soccer game last fall, and the PA was a buddy that was needling all of us ("there's a lot of hands on hips out there"), including myself. That's fine. In a professional setting, though, it's a different story.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Perhaps All Too Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'd tell the PA to wait until the foul is reported.
We pregame this with the table, because so often the scoreboard operator, observing that a foul has been called, anticipates who committed the foul, then advances the team foul count by one, say from 5 to 6. We, on way to the table, identify the 6 on the board, report the foul, then signal a one-and-one upcoming, thereby running the risk of a possible correctable error situation.
With scoreboard operator, official book, and PA announcer all waiting for us to report the foul before taking action, things don't run the risk of entering into brainfart status.
Side Note Mentioned Before: Bookkeeper is also informed that the hand with which we signify the number is the same side as the bench of the team that committed the foul. This along with saying the color, of course. Since doing this we have had several table officials () express their appreciation for this little clarifying gesture. Really comes in handy in especially noisy gyms. And when visiting team shows up in homecourt whites, like two weeks ago. (Doesn't work well in states where two-handed reporting is used.)

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 02:16pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Side Note Mentioned Before: Bookkeeper is also informed that the hand with which we signify the number is the same side as the bench of the team that committed the foul.
Never heard that one, but I like it!! Dont think I'll try incorporating it in my game until the offseason though. I cant even get the color/number right
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Never heard that one, but I like it!! Dont think I'll try incorporating it in my game until the offseason though. I cant even get the color/number right
I would want to be well practiced at it before I tried telling the table about it. I'd had to tell them about it then screw it up in the game.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

It wouldn't have bothered me. I dish it out pretty well on the court and away from the court, so it's just right that I be able to take it.