The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Designated TO area?

Had a first last night. During a TO, coach tells team to stay out because "you don't listen anyway". Do the players and the coach have to stay in the designated TO area or can the players stay out and just the coach is restricted to the area. Looked through the rule book after the game and couldn't find a reference to this situation. BTW, I allowed the players to stay out, while the coach sat on the bench.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercload View Post
Had a first last night. During a TO, coach tells team to stay out because "you don't listen anyway". Do the players and the coach have to stay in the designated TO area or can the players stay out and just the coach is restricted to the area. Looked through the rule book after the game and couldn't find a reference to this situation. BTW, I allowed the players to stay out, while the coach sat on the bench.
If he conducts his TO, he must do so within the area. There's nothing that requires him to do so, however. He can send his players out onto the court at any point, as long as they all return at approximately the same time.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

There's nothing that says the players have to be there if the coach isn't conducting the timeout. Envision the situation where one of the teams, during a timeout, finishes early and wants to resume play early. They'll head to the court early and there's no penalty in doing so.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The location of the timeout area is defined in NFHS rule 1-13-3. Just keep 'em all somewhere within that area.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You handled it just fine. I would do exactly the same thing.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If he conducts his TO, he must do so within the area. There's nothing that requires him to do so, however. He can send his players out onto the court at any point, as long as they all return at approximately the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There's nothing that says the players have to be there if the coach isn't conducting the timeout. Envision the situation where one of the teams, during a timeout, finishes early and wants to resume play early. They'll head to the court early and there's no penalty in doing so.
Disagree. If what you say were true, the players could be in the other team's timeout area. And I think you'll agree that they can't be there. Since the only distinctions are the indicated timeout areas, the players need to be in them during a timeout whether the timeout is being utilized or not.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Disagree. If what you say were true, the players could be in the other team's timeout area. And I think you'll agree that they can't be there. Since the only distinctions are the indicated timeout areas, the players need to be in them during a timeout whether the timeout is being utilized or not.
I was envisioning the players staying on their half of the court. But you are correct.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So, when Team A is ready to go after 10 seconds of a 60 second timeout, you're going to force them to remain in the TO area? How early is too early?

I'll agree they can't be in the other team's huddle, but that can easily be enforced without forcing them into their defined TO area.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, when Team A is ready to go after 10 seconds of a 60 second timeout, you're going to force them to remain in the TO area?
Dont trouble trouble...

Last edited by tref; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 01:20pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's my thought. I'll keep them out of B's huddle, if necessary, but that's as far as I'm going with it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:27pm
We don't rent pigs

5-12-5 says the timeout conference shall be conducted within the confines of the timeout area.

If there is no conference, as far as I'm concerned they can stay out on the court.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If there is no conference, as far as I'm concerned they can stay out on the court.
They can stay out on the court, no matter what. Part of the time-out area is out on the court.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Since the only distinctions are the indicated timeout areas, the players need to be in them during a timeout whether the timeout is being utilized or not.
Rules citation?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
They can stay out on the court, no matter what. Part of the time-out area is out on the court.
True. I should have said that they can stay out on the court in position and ready to resume play. So you agree with me? Did you bump your head this morning or something?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
True. I should have said that they can stay out on the court in position and ready to resume play. So you agree with me?
There's no rule that I know of that says the players must go to their bench area during a TO. I wouldn't let them stand by the other team's huddle though; that's just asking for trouble. There's no specific rule on that either afaik but I'd call that an unsporting act. Warn 'em first. Iirc we had a long thread on that years ago.

Which also brings up the question....

Just before a FT, both the offense and defense usually have a quick strategy huddle. What do you do, if anything, if an opponent decides that he/she would like to join the opposing team's huddle?