The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting End of Game Sequence

7th Grade Boys Tournament game last week. Team A is down 53-50 with the ball, less than 15 seconds left. I am the L. As A brings ball down the floor, partner calls a block on B32 with 9 seconds left. Knowing it was his 5th foul, he heads to the bench and rips off his jersey in disgust on the floor while shaking his head (kid had attitude problems earlier and had already been warned). Partner T's up 32, I administer the 1-1 for the block, which he misses the front end. Same player shoots technical free throws. Makes both to pull within one. A ball sideline, A hits a 15 ft. turnaround at the horn to win 54-53. As we are leaving the court, the AD for the district tells my partner that he should have just warned the kid and he determined the outcome of the game.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
7th Grade Boys Tournament game last week. Team A is down 53-50 with the ball, less than 15 seconds left. I am the L. As A brings ball down the floor, partner calls a block on B32 with 9 seconds left. Knowing it was his 5th foul, he heads to the bench and rips off his jersey in disgust on the floor while shaking his head (kid had attitude problems earlier and had already been warned). Partner T's up 32, I administer the 1-1 for the block, which he misses the front end. Same player shoots technical free throws. Makes both to pull within one. A ball sideline, A hits a 15 ft. turnaround at the horn to win 54-53. As we are leaving the court, the AD for the district tells my partner that he should have just warned the kid and he determined the outcome of the game.
Guess the AD wasn't paying attention.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Warning For A Strip Tease ??? You've Got To Be Kidding Me ...

How will a warning help here? Warn him, make him put his shirt back on, tuck it in, and if, and only if, he rips off his jersey in disgust a second time, as a disqualified player on the bench, in that game, then it's alright to charge him with a technical foul? Yeah, sure.

I guess the athletic director needs same help from the Mythbusters. Here is a rarely used section from the Mythbuster list:

Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 08:53pm.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How will a warning help here? Warn him, make him put his shirt back on, tuck it in, and if, and only if, he does it again in that game, then it's alright to charge him with a technical foul?

I guess the athletic director needs same help from the Mythbusters.
Forget the Mythubusters and just use the rules. Case book play 10.4.1SitD is the exact same play. Immediate technical foul with no warning. Note that if the head coach had been notified of the disqualification before the kid pulled his crap, the head coach would have been charged with an indirect "T" also.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Forget the Mythubusters and just use the rules. Case book play 10.4.1SitD is the exact same play. Immediate technical foul with no warning. Note that if the head coach had been notified of the disqualification before the kid pulled his crap, the head coach would have been charged with an indirect "T" also.
Just to clarify...

"strip-tease" gets T for behavior, and coach gets an indirect for failing to control player? 4 shots and ball at division line?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Just to clarify...

"strip-tease" gets T for behavior, and coach gets an indirect for failing to control player? 4 shots and ball at division line?
After coach is notified, disqualified player is now bench personnel. So the T on the player is charged as an indirect on the coach. No free throws for an indirect..........ever.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The AD's opinion means just as much as the guy's in the 12th row.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
After coach is notified, disqualified player is now bench personnel. So the T on the player is charged as an indirect on the coach. No free throws for an indirect..........ever.
Interesting. Player is already DQ'd so you charge coach with indirect T and does this count towards team fouls?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:01am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Interesting. Player is already DQ'd so you charge coach with indirect T and does this count towards team fouls?
Are you an official? And you are totally unfamiliar with an indirect technical?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:13am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
As we are leaving the court, the AD for the district tells my partner that he should have just warned the kid and he determined the outcome of the game.
I'll say it again. In a close game, nearly everything we do affects the outcome of a game.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The T on the player is the foul that is added to the team foul total. The indirect on the coach is not a separate foul. You just shoot two free throws.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The T on the player is the foul that is added to the team foul total. The indirect on the coach is not a separate foul. You just shoot two free throws.
There we go... thats what I was looking for. Still shooting 2 and the ball for the DQ'd player's T. I misread "not shooting.....ever" Not shooting on the indirect T for coach I get you now.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There we go... thats what I was looking for. Still shooting 2 and the ball for the DQ'd player's T. I misread "not shooting.....ever" Not shooting on the indirect T for coach I get you now.
An indirect is one infraction recorded against the coach in addition to the culprit(s). Being only one infraction, there is only one pair of FTs awarded and only one team foul recorded.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'll say it again. In a close game, nearly everything we the players do affects the outcome of a game.
Fixed it for ya.

We don't make shots, score goals, or foul opponents. Those are the actions that affect the outcome the game.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would take a middle school AD's comments with a huge chunk of salt. I would hope my response to his inane comment would be professional; but I can't guarantee it.

Around here, everything is assigned by assigners, so I'd be on the phone before I left the parking lot.

Not to blunt any criticism of me, I couldn't care less. If the assigner doesn't want me making this call, I won't be working his ms games. I'd make the call to complain about the AD trying to inject himself into the officiating.