The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Interesting Game

First game of the year tonight and I had some unusual stuff.

A first: finished with the winning team having only four players on the court for the last 3 minutes or so. One injury and two foul outs.

First game of the year, and I've already called 3 seconds. Dangit!

I finally started to get used to going opposite during the 2nd half. It felt awkward in the first half.

After a made basket, had a player not get OOB for the throwin; called the immediate violation as soon as A2 started dribbling down the court after the pass.

One coach didn't seem to have any idea what verticality means.

The R is a vet who moved from Europe where he did all three rules sets (NCAA, NFHS/IAABO, and FIBA). He made the home coach put the players in numerical order in the book. We talked about it, and he promised to show me the rule but agreed if our association doesn't worry about it he'll let it go the rest of the season.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:06am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The R is a vet who moved from Europe where he did all three rules sets (NCAA, NFHS/IAABO, and FIBA). He made the home coach put the players in numerical order in the book. We talked about it, and he promised to show me the rule but agreed if our association doesn't worry about it he'll let it go the rest of the season.
For NFHS, it's recommended, not required.

2-11-1 Note

Keep a record of the names and numbers of players who are to start the game and of all substitutes who enter the game.

NOTE: It is recommended the team member's numbers be entered into the scorebook in numerical order.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First game of the year tonight and I had some unusual stuff.

A first: finished with the winning team having only four players on the court for the last 3 minutes or so. One injury and two foul outs.

I finally started to get used to going opposite during the 2nd half. It felt awkward in the first half.

After a made basket, had a player not get OOB for the throwin; called the immediate violation as soon as A2 started dribbling down the court after the pass.

One coach didn't seem to have any idea what verticality means.

Wow...Wonderful start to the season. I had a 50-pointer last night. It wasn't fun at all.

I don't believe it's in the rule book that the players must be listed in numerical order but from someone who has done the book in the past, it's convenient.

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had my first game last night, girls V, and had THREE 3-Seconds calls . And they were all legit. I bet I didn't have three all last season.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

See what happens when something becomes a POE?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Thing is, I wasn't looking for it. A1 caught the ball in the lane, dropped it, picked it up, passed it, and stood there. I had no choice.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thing is, I wasn't looking for it. A1 caught the ball in the lane, dropped it, picked it up, passed it, and stood there. I had no choice.
As an added bonus in my 3 second sitch. ,the player who got the pass
glassed a nice 33-35 shot.

I got an all gym boo from the fans , all 12 of them.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
As an added bonus in my 3 second sitch. ,the player who got the pass
glassed a nice 33-35 shot.

I got an all gym boo from the fans , all 12 of them.
My partner called 2 last night. On one, we were barely out of transition. I'm C, and the ball lands in front of me in transition, just on the FC side. A1 throws a nice cross court pass to A2 in the lane for a layup. Whistle, 3 seconds. We talked later, and he said he was there the whole time. It was close as to whether the ball had been in the FC for 3 seconds, but he said it had.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What does Edgar A. have to do with this?

Had 2 situations last night on this same topic. First game, girls' JV, late in the game, I'm C in front of the home team's coach. I happen to notice one of their players kind if drifting around in the lane, so I watch to see when she's going to step out. Then I hear a voice right behind me say, "Lane...get her out of the lane..." Sure enough the player stays in long enough to gather wood and start a campfire, so I blow the whistle for the violation, even though it bugs me to call it when the coach is asking for it. Then it dawns on me - it was her own coach that was asking! I turned around and looked at her, she just shrugged and said, "She's got to learn sometime...".

Second game, home team is starting to pull away in the 4th quarter, and their coach sends in new player. You can tell she hasn't played the game all her life, and the coach mentioned she was a foreign exchange student. So, a couple of possessions later, on offense, she gets right in the middle of lane and stays there. I'm L, so I try to gently coax her out, "Keep moving...keep moving..." But I notice I can't hear myself any more, because my partner out at C is saying, "Get out of the lane!...GET OUT OF THE LANE!!!..." Finally, she realizes what's happening and gets out. 2 passes later, she's back in there, doing the same thing. Partner starts saying the same thing, and even the crowd starts to try and get her out. I remember the first game, so I decide enough's enough, and blow the whistle for the violation. My partner looks over at me and mouths: "hard-a$$".

Geeze, no good deed goes unpunished...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 03:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Note to newbies

Be sure you know the ultimate response to a 3 second "request" from a coach:

"Coach - that wasn't three seconds even in dog years."
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
For NFHS, it's recommended, not required.

2-11-1 Note

Keep a record of the names and numbers of players who are to start the game and of all substitutes who enter the game.

NOTE: It is recommended the team member's numbers be entered into the scorebook in numerical order.
Interesting, this is listed under scorer's duties; not the coach's responsibility either way.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach in a GV game last night who was asking me to watch for 3-second violations (Which there were none anyway) when he was up by 50+ in the second half. He must have just been bored.

He also whined when I called one of his girls for a block when there was a collision at half court with about 30 seconds left. He was up by about 60 at this point and we were using the turbo clock (4th quarter only here).
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Be sure you know the ultimate response to a 3 second "request" from a coach:

"Coach - that wasn't three seconds even in dog years."
My favorite response is, "How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on."