School saves a WHOLE $34/gm on 2 person
3 whistle: $53
2 whistle: $62.50
plus mileage
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
In the IAABO manual it says the L officials may apply the A, B, C technique. We all know the difference between "may" & "shall" in the book.
The thing is, a lot of two-man games are done at levels that just don't need three. I'm not going to do a lesser game (and failing to cross over is just that, IMO) in order to press for a third official for the JVG games that really don't need them.

Even if I was doing a varsity game, I'd rather do my best to get the best angles and views than dump it for, essentially, political reasons.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The thing is, a lot of two-man games are done at levels that just don't need three. I'm not going to do a lesser game (and failing to cross over is just that, IMO) in order to press for a third official for the JVG games that really don't need them.

Even if I was doing a varsity game, I'd rather do my best to get the best angles and views than dump it for, essentially, political reasons.
And it's the slower games (JVG, for example) where it's easier to cross-over. The game just isn't as quick. When I filled in for an injured official on a JVG game a few weeks ago, I crossed over at least 5-6 times in the quarter I worked.

On a BV game, however, I'm lucky to find the time (timing) to get over 6 times a game. You pick your spots. Certainly, I'd rather have 3 officials. I'd also like to win the Powerball.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

When I am Lead on a two man crew, I find myself moving with the ball much like three man. The problem is that my Trail my be inexperienced and doesn't move with me so we are heavy to one side. I go over this in pre-game but you know how that goes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
When I am Lead on a two man crew, I find myself moving with the ball much like three man. The problem is that my Trail my be inexperienced and doesn't move with me so we are heavy to one side. I go over this in pre-game but you know how that goes
Even if my trail doesn't adjust, I find I've still got a better look so it's worth the trip. You give certain things up, but it's about the odds; and I'm quick enough to get back to the sideline on most cases if I need to.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I neither work JVG nor was I speaking on anything at that level...

You lucky guys/gals down there have all of your V scheduled as 3 whistle, no?

Man, one of our big leagues containing 5A SUBURBAN schools went 2 person this year (economy). Those have been some of the toughest games that I've ever worked!!
If the City Public School league (which has had money problems way before the recent economy situation) can afford 3 then GD those rich schools with BMWs & Mercedes parked EVERYWHERE should be able to as well!

I've found a solution to the problem though, I will obtain the names of each school that plan to run 2s next year & simply block them in the Arbiter.
"Yeah, I have a cousin that attends that school, boss... YUP that school too... YES, that one as well"
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The argument should be that 3-person worked best as possible is still much better working 2-person as best as possible.
Logic: A

Grammar: D

Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Logic: A

Grammar: D

All the words I want to use in reply keep getting edited.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Option ...

Quote:
In the IAABO manual it says the L officials may apply the A, B, C technique. We all know the difference between "may" & "shall" in the book.
That's correct. It's an option, that should probably be pregamed. And it's a true rotation with the trail moving across the basketline when the lead comes ballside.

At least that's what it says in the manual. In reality, around these parts, nobody uses this option. Never. When the lead comes ball side to help out with post players, it's just for that one play, and it's his responsibility to eventually hustle back to the weak side.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:57pm.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's corect. It's an option, that should probably be pregamed. And it's a true rotation with the trail moving across the basketline when the lead comes ballside.

At least that's what it says in the manual. In reality, around these parts, nobody uses this option. Never. When the lead comes ball side to help out with post players, it's just for that one play, and it's his responsibility to eventually hustle back to the weak side.
Page 24 of the mechanics manual. It says nothing about the trail moving over.

Now, I thought I recalled a mechanic that talked about the Trail initiating a full switch with a trap up high on the lead's side; but I can't find it.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All the words I want to use in reply keep getting edited.
Do I need to grade your vocabulary, too?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's correct. It's an option, that should probably be pregamed.
I will NOT be going strong side tonight!

I actually saw this sitch happen in a 5A boys game:
T opposite table & the L goes strong side, the ball shoots OOB in the corner (side/endline corner) tableside. L asks T for help... T looks at L like "are you kidding me, I'm 80+ feet away from this play." A/P arrow!
Of course it goes OOB in front of the defensive teams bench, who just happened to be down by 20+... not a good look! Pay the 3rd, football has 5.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, I thought I recalled a mechanic that talked about the Trail initiating a full switch with a trap up high on the lead's side; but I can't find it.
Page 43.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 02:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I will NOT be going strong side tonight!

I actually saw this sitch happen in a 5A boys game:
T opposite table & the L goes strong side, the ball shoots OOB in the corner (side/endline corner) tableside. L asks T for help... T looks at L like "are you kidding me, I'm 80+ feet away from this play." A/P arrow!
Of course it goes OOB in front of the defensive teams bench, who just happened to be down by 20+... not a good look! Pay the 3rd, football has 5.
The L should have been prepared to signal a direction on this. I know if I go strong side, I may have to get one that shoots out on the other side.

Look, if a team's down 20 and I have to guess, I know how I'm guessing on that one possession. And it's not with two thumbs...
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look, if a team's down 20 and I have to guess, I know how I'm guessing on that one possession. And it's not with two thumbs...
We spoke about that at halftime as the the T in that play was also the assignor.

Your comment on the other thread, is NOT the case. Thats the reason I bolded the following.

Quote:
Not that I want to give anything but my best efforts on the court, but getting 3 officials on all games will never happen if we keep working the 2 person game in such a stellar fashion.