The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2-Man Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61675-2-man-mechanics.html)

k-blue Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17am

2-Man Mechanics

Have a question about 2-man mechanics.

There is an official in our association that insist that we are using the wrong mechanics. He claims that in two person crews, the lead should, rotate to ball side, and the trail steps toward the middle of the floor, working weak side, low post play.

States that these rotations are designed to eliminate the lead official from calling plays from across the lane lines.

I have watched him work and most of the time when he is the "Trail", he is standing in the middle of the court. When the "Lead", he is rotating back and forth, and often is on the same side of the court as his partner.

Is this a mechanic that is being used in HS BB with 2-man?

K-Blue

Rich Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-blue (Post 725638)
Have a question about 2-man mechanics.

There is an official in our association that insist that we are using the wrong mechanics. He claims that in two person crews, the lead should, rotate to ball side, and the trail steps toward the middle of the floor, working weak side, low post play.

States that these rotations are designed to eliminate the lead official from calling plays from across the lane lines.

I have watched him work and most of the time when he is the "Trail", he is standing in the middle of the court. When the "Lead", he is rotating back and forth, and often is on the same side of the court as his partner.

Is this a mechanic that is being used in HS BB with 2-man?

K-Blue

Going ball-side, IMO, is an important part of making 2-person officiating as good as it can be. Some regions frown on it, though.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26am

IMO, if they want the L strong-side on plays, hire a frickin 3rd! IJS

Rich Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 725643)
IMO, if they want the L strong-side on plays, hire a frickin 3rd! IJS

It's not what anyone wants -- it's about me as an official being in the best position to make calls. I'm either going to have to grab calls across the lane or go over there and have a better look. I'll go over when I can. I'll grab calls across the lane when I have to.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34am

I understand that fact, Rich. Just my feelings on the L rotating in the 2 person game. Thank God I dont have to do too many of those, because I'm not going or calling across the paint! The T better step down & stay connected!

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35am

According to the NFHS official's manual, 2.3.3, the lead should move ball side (if permissable) when the ball and most of the players are below the free throw line extended on the trail's side. The lead just has to be ready to make a quick dash, if necessary, to cover his/her sideline.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44am

In the IAABO manual it says the L officials may apply the A, B, C technique. We all know the difference between "may" & "shall" in the book.

Rich Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 725651)
I understand that fact, Rich. Just my feelings on the L rotating in the 2 person game. Thank God I dont have to do too many of those, because I'm not going or calling across the paint! The T better step down & stay connected!

It's not that simple, IMO. There are fouls deep on the trail's side where the T just has a horrible look -- for example a drive on the endline where the foul occurs from the backside (between the shooter and the endline).

The lead simply has to pick up play across the lane in 2-person or the T is going to have to do a lot of guessing. Neither is ideal, but the L is in better position to make a lot of those calls/no-calls on shooting fouls near the endline.

I'm an active trail (at least I think so) and I'm thrilled when a lead picks up some of those.

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50am

This is a common practice here and we pregame it. Some times we also start from this position on a front court endline throw in. It must be pregamed with partner and it's use must be disaplined when using this court coverage. Also along these same lines is the coverage when trail comes accross basket line to cover a trap on leads side above the freethrow line extended. I like to have the lead cover the OOB line all the way up and the trail take any foul call.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 725657)
It's not that simple, IMO. There are fouls deep on the trail's side where the T just has a horrible look -- for example a drive on the endline where the foul occurs from the backside (between the shooter and the endline).

The lead simply has to pick up play across the lane in 2-person or the T is going to have to do a lot of guessing. Neither is ideal, but the L is in better position to make a lot of those calls/no-calls on shooting fouls near the endline.

I'm an active trail (at least I think so) and I'm thrilled when a lead picks up some of those.

All of that being said, even more reason to "hire a frickin 3rd!"

Not that I want to give anything but my best efforts on the court, but getting 3 officials on all games will never happen if we keep working the 2 person game in such a stellar fashion.

"Why pay a 3rd official when these 2 guys are busting to get the job done for a couple extra dollars" is what I heard an AD recently say.

On my job that pays the mortgage, we had 6 employees in my department. They fired 1, if the 5 of us still maintained the departments responsibilities, do you think they would have ever hired a new person? Absolutely not!

Rich Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 725684)
All of that being said, even more reason to "hire a frickin 3rd!"

Not that I want to give anything but my best efforts on the court, but getting 3 officials on all games will never happen if we keep working the 2 person game in such a stellar fashion.

"Why pay a 3rd official when these 2 guys are busting to get the job done for a couple extra dollars" is what I heard an AD recently say.

On my job that pays the mortgage, we had 6 employees in my department. They fired 1, if the 5 of us still maintained the departments responsibilities, do you think they would have ever hired a new person? Absolutely not!

Sorry, but I'll continue to work 2-person as best I can. The argument should be that 3-person worked best as possible is still much better working 2-person as best as possible.

rsl Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36am

I've never seen this posted on the board, but it probably has been. It is worth reading what official's manual says about ball side mechanic:

2.3.3 Ball-Side Mechanic:
A. General Provisions:
1. The use of a ball-side mechanic should be thoroughly discussed at the
pregame conference.
2. Ball and player location key the need for movement by the Lead.
3. The Lead should only move ball-side when the Trail is in the frontcourt.

B. Coverage:
1. When the majority of players and the ball are on the Trail’s side of the
floor, below the free-throw line extended, the Lead should close-down
toward the near lane line and may move laterally to ball-side.
2. Playing action may dictate that the lead NOT initiate movement – even
when the ball is on the Trail’s side – such as on a quick shot or a quick
drive to the basket.
3. Movement by the Lead across the lane should be brisk and with purpose.
4. Even while moving across the lane, the Lead must officiate players in
the post (PCA). Lead should not be caught within the key area except
when moving across or just briefly to view a play or drive to the basket
from the Trail side of the court.
5. When the Lead moves across the lane, the Lead’s PCA is extended to include
the area inside the arc. See Diagram 2-20.
6. When the ball moves inside the three-point arc, the Lead is now on-ball
and the trail must extend coverage to assist with the open area on
the opposite side. See Diagram 2-21.
7. If the majority of players or the ball swings back to the opposite side,
the Lead should begin to quickly move back across the lane to cover the play.
See Diagram 2-22.
8. If there is a quick shot or drive to the basket and the Lead is still on the
same side of the court as the Trail, the Lead should close down to the
near lane-line extended and officiate rebounding action.
9. If a transition to the other end of the court occurs when the Lead is ballside,
the Lead must remember to go back to the other side of the court
and into diagonal coverage.

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 725686)
Sorry, but I'll continue to work 2-person as best I can. The argument should be that 3-person worked best as possible is still much better working 2-person as best as possible.

Same here, just not rotating... I'll pinch. I agree!

PG_Ref Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39am

Since a 2-person crew usually works a little harder than a 3-person crew, make 2-person pay more than 3-person... then it will be 3-person all around :D

tref Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 725695)
Since a 2-person crew usually works a little harder than a 3-person crew, make 2-person pay more than 3-person... then it will be 3-person all around :D

Around here:

3 person: $50/gm
2 person: $58/gm

School saves a WHOLE $34/gm on 2 person :rolleyes: